• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Talk about High Priced Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bramble said:
Generalizations tend to fall short, but my experience is that ML has been seen by many as a way to extend deer season, and the i**ines are becoming as much like modern arms as is possible within the letter of the law. This enables folks to hunt an extra week (in NC) without the up front & ongoing effort required by traditional BP. The goal is more time in the woods, something I really can't argue with, but I feel it does hijack the original intent. I do kinda feel sorry for those folks. They need to slow down and take time to smell the gun smoke. :winking:
bramble

Brable, uncle and me were having a conversation about what you just said yesterday. A lot of hunters are looking for a way to extend the hunting season. With work schedules and such, a two week rifle hunting season might mean you only get out a few times.

Add another week for muzzleloading, you might get a couple more days in. A lot of the guys are just trying to get some more hunting time in. *n-l*nes get the job done for them. It isn't about shooting a firearm with roots in history, it is about going out and getting to hunt.

There are hunters and shooters. There are hunters that are not shooters and shooters that are not hunters. Obviously, there tends to be a lot that are both to varying degrees.

The hunters that are shooters may in time decide to try something more traditional.

The hunters that are not shooters, will likely work with whatever gets it done for them and not look around much if their *n-l*ne drops their deer.

Clutch

Zonie said:
Yup. I went to a gun shop looking for some balls for a new (used) Baby Dragoon I bought last week and my eye fell on their display of powder pellets.

They were asking $25.75 for a box of 100 30 grain (equivalent) Faux Black Powder.

That makes the stuff worth Sixty Dollars and eight cents a pound !!! :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Not only did they want over $60/pound, they didn't have any loose powder on display in their muzzleloading section.
They also didn't have any .317 dia balls but they did have a lot of copper colored, plastic tipped bullets for the folks on the dark side.

zonie :)

a very good reason to show the modern guys how much cheaper our way is instead of there way....also how much fun we have year round shooting in postal shoots and not spending more money then them fer just hunting season....other wise what we spend to be able to shoot year round is what they spend to shoot fer just hunting season most likely....i think we have a new edge to this battle guys :hmm: :hatsoff: .............bob

I cannot believe how things have changed in the 10 years I have been out of the traditional scene. I live a few hours north of Detroit in a rural area and I had a hard time finding supplies locally. Everyone had the new stuff, I couldnt find #11 caps even, 209 primers all over the place.

And that's just been caused by all the modern high performance scoped muzzleloader zip gun craze.

Worse...now that the Dems have regained control of the 'House' and 'Senate', everybody should think long & hard about stocking up on everything critical to continue recreational shooting & hunting such as real BP for Flintlocks.

Roundball, now you have me thinking about what you said about the Dems in charge. Hmmmmm....

All I can find around here is Pyrodex for 16 bucks a can and Triple 7 for 27 bucks a can.

i can get it for $225.00 a keg [25lb.] when there were alot of matches there would be any where from 3-5 go together and get a keg and divide it up.
but the matches have died out around here gettysburg pa.area. there is one match in dec. the first one all year. we used to go to one every weekend some times 2 one on sat and one on sunday. used to see alot of kids there with the smaller rifles like the bobcats and sennicas. now if there is a shoot it is the old guys. we even opened them up to the inlines and scopes,still no pick up in shooters.

I remember lookin' at a package of 50/50 pellets in Wal-Mart. 2 oz for $8.99. My brain said $72 for a pound of powder, when the bottle under the package sells for $18! :shocked2: That's a lot to pay for the convience of not measurin' yore powder charge, and you are stuck with 50 grain increments. :shake:

Zonie said:
They also didn't have any .317 dia balls but they did have a lot of copper colored, plastic tipped bullets for the folks on the dark side.

zonie :)

LOL. "Yoda, IS the dark side stronger?"

I agree with slamfire up there. That it's a lot to pay just so you don't have to measure your powder. Have people really become THAT lazy?!

Kinda makes me sick...

Arrowstorm said:
Have people really become THAT lazy?!?

i think so....look at all the vehicals out there that have self opening and closing doors, pedals, steering wheels that self adjust to you....minivans that the seats fold up by themself....oh don't ferget things that ya can buy fer yer home that do things themself like vacum's that go by there self :v ...........bob

I recently bought three pounds of Schutzen, packaged as Grafs brand, from Grafs in Mexico MO. for less than $35 including tax.

They had Swiss for $16/lb. The Swiss that I tried didn't seem all that much better than GOEX, and certainly not much better than Schutzen (Grafs).

I dunno, maybe my guns just don't like Swiss?
J.D.

Back