• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Talk about High Priced Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. I went to a gun shop looking for some balls for a new (used) Baby Dragoon I bought last week and my eye fell on their display of powder pellets.

They were asking $25.75 for a box of 100 30 grain (equivalent) Faux Black Powder.

That makes the stuff worth Sixty Dollars and eight cents a pound !!! :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Not only did they want over $60/pound, they didn't have any loose powder on display in their muzzleloading section.
They also didn't have any .317 dia balls but they did have a lot of copper colored, plastic tipped bullets for the folks on the dark side.

zonie :)

I think that is why they push the modern stuff. They can charge an arm and a leg for all the extras. Lets face it we buy powder and caps, or flints, and maybe the odd can of Ballistol.

Please update me: how much is a can of powder recently? I haven't bought an individual can lately.

For some strange reason, we are not as strong of a sales target as the newer; dare I say, **line crowd. And from what I am hearing here in this part of Georgia, muzzleloading altogether is losing steam. I feel sad that it is happening. People are losing touch with outside sports. Maybe the new Playstation 3 will have a flintlock rifle shooting game available. But I seriously doubt it. We gotta cherish what we have for as long as we can have it. Expose as many as we can to the sport we all love and hope it catches on.

KJM
I bought two cans of GOEX several weeks ago for 12.50 per can in Virginia

I get schutzen, when I drive to the shop in crofton, for 12.95 a pound, when I order powder I get Goex for a little under 12.00# but I order that by the 25# case Here in town Bass Pro sells goex for 24.99 a pound, and Ye Olde gun shop in bellevue sells Swiss I believe for about 16.00. Definitely quite the variance.

It's a sad sign of the times when things become advertising driven rather than market driven. A lot of folks are being brainwashed into thinking that the modern stuff is the only way to go. I see it at the range a lot. There's a few older guys out there with traditional guns, but not many. Everyone in my age range or younger has all the modern plastic and stainless stuff. I think it's getting that way all over.

There's one local shop that sometimes has Goex for $17-18 a lb, or did a few years ago. It's been so unreliable locally that I finally made a bulk order that came in a little less than $10 a lb. shipped. Or I could buy Pyrodex almost anywhere here, along with a nice plastic gun to go with it. No thanks.

ya i know about the price of powder. up north her, at ur local shop, wich is far and few, prices can range about 15-35$/ lbs. i go to the distribiter and get 11$/lbs. and can buy in bulk loose....but a 25lbs.minimal..... thats too much on hand. ill stick to cans.

Holy White Smokes, Batman!! I haven't bought any powder in awhile and I thought it was expensive at $9.25 a pound about 3 years ago when I bought my last batch. A feller might think that black powder was a standard of currency.
Yeah, what's the BP standard today? :shocked2:

Log Cabin Supply is 15.00 For Goex. I can get China brand Lili for 10.00, this for a lb can. Dilly

playfarmers said:
I think that is why they push the modern stuff. They can charge an arm and a leg for all the extras. Lets face it we buy powder and caps, or flints, and maybe the odd can of Ballistol.

There's no doubt of it in my mind.

To answer the question about the price per pound in my area, I can buy Pyrodex RS or P for about $17/pound.
The pellets I was looking at were also Pyrodex so it is obvious that they are making a killing based on the ignorance of the new crowd of muzzleloaders.
IMO, keeping them ignorant is good for the dealers which may explain why the dealers push the new stuff and stock very little that we would be looking for.

In fairness, I will say they did have several boxes of roundballs for .50 and .54. They even had one box of .570 balls. I say "had" because I bought it. :grin:

I'll also mention that by driving across town, another gun shop had roundballs for most calibers (including .31 cal pistols), #11 and Musket caps, jags etc. They do not carry real black powder though.

zonie :)

zonie

Kind of reminds me of the TV ads for household items. Picture a poor underpriveledged, unenlightened stoneage housewife ,slaving in a flour-dusted, disheveled kitchen, in black and white. Segue to a happy well-dressed modern housewife in a sparkeling universe with a prepackaged frozen cake that would make a five star pastry chef envious.
Then picture Toby Bridges waltzing in and giving
the wife with the plastic cake (do they really taste like homemade?) a big hug.
We're a bunch of handy knowledgeble, thrifty and
in some cases extremely talented folks. People who do it themselves, and worse yet, do it well are generally a less lucrative market than the others who can't remember how to measure flour or
powder without help. :shocked2:

Bought a can of FFg GOEX last week from the only gunshop in Albuquerque known to still sell it....$19.95. Store clerk I first made contact with says, "oh, you have to talk to that guy over there only". Apparently you have to be federally authorized to sell the real stuff. The shop doesn't get blessed to do so, but EACH EMPLOYEE that will handle the sale must be licensed.

Bureaucratic post 911 :bull: . Used to buy it for less than $9 without any problems from several shops in town. We went through pounds of it every weekend in the Gunfighter troup I was in. Couldn't afford to do that nowadays.

Now I have no problem providing my ID and even paying entirely too much for it, but seeing it as coming to an end someday scares me. It just ain't right.

Delivered to my door case price of Goex is $10.75/can, by far the most economical way to buy it...if you don't want to lay out that much at once, or store that much, try splitting a case with another shooter or two...these forums are good ways to possibly find other shooters within a locale.

I just had 5 pounds shipped to me at 11.00 a can came to 55.00 then they added 33.00 shipping total price came to 88.00..

Is that Crofton Md. you are talking about. If so I live about a couple of hours east of you. Do you have a club that you shoot at? Where? How do I get in touch? Do you do rendezvous?

Generalizations tend to fall short, but my experience is that ML has been seen by many as a way to extend deer season, and the i**ines are becoming as much like modern arms as is possible within the letter of the law. This enables folks to hunt an extra week (in NC) without the up front & ongoing effort required by traditional BP. The goal is more time in the woods, something I really can't argue with, but I feel it does hijack the original intent. I do kinda feel sorry for those folks. They need to slow down and take time to smell the gun smoke. :winking:
bramble

RickD said:
I just had 5 pounds shipped to me at 11.00 a can came to 55.00 then they added 33.00 shipping total price came to 88.00..

There is a 25.00 per box hazmat fee in that 33.00. That is why you need to do is find a few other shooters to go in on the full 25# per carton that can be packed on a single fee.

You need to network, ask around at your gun club, look at the posters on the list and note where there location is, ect.

Clutch

Back