• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tacking my stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhoffman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Santa brought my some nice tacks, 1/4 and 5/16 brass with steel shanks.
What is the perfered method of putting these in my stock (older cva mt rifle)?
Is it best to pre-drill with a micro bit, trim the shanks down?
not wanting any "oopsies" :shocked2:

One method is to make your pattern on paper, lay the pattern on the stock and use an awl to mark where each tack will go. Pre-drill your holes and then tap the tacks into place.

You don't need a micro bit to pre-drill. You can do that with a fine brad chucked in your drill. It doesn't remove the wood so much as push it aside.

Make a pattern & lay it on the stock & Be Sure you like it that way. :hmm: Cause once ya tack on it is forever tacked. Even if ya remove them you can still see the tack holes & etc.

I agree with Claude. I laid out where I wanted the tacks lightly with a pencil, then predrilled with a micro-bit in a little hand drill (don't know the official term, but it looks like a small screwdriver). Did a great job. I went with 4 tacks along each side of the forarm near where my left hand lays, and 4 along the underside of the butt.

I mark as stated above, but I drill my holes with a 1/32 drill bit. I prefer to drill a hole that is about 1/2 depth of the shank length of the tack so the tip bites well into the wood of the stock. Place a piece of wood or leather over the brass end of the tack and tap it into place. This keeps you from buggering up the brass with the hammer.

Latest posts

Back