• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tacking my stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwhoffman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Santa brought my some nice tacks, 1/4 and 5/16 brass with steel shanks.
What is the perfered method of putting these in my stock (older cva mt rifle)?
Is it best to pre-drill with a micro bit, trim the shanks down?
not wanting any "oopsies" :shocked2:

One method is to make your pattern on paper, lay the pattern on the stock and use an awl to mark where each tack will go. Pre-drill your holes and then tap the tacks into place.

You don't need a micro bit to pre-drill. You can do that with a fine brad chucked in your drill. It doesn't remove the wood so much as push it aside.

Make a pattern & lay it on the stock & Be Sure you like it that way. :hmm: Cause once ya tack on it is forever tacked. Even if ya remove them you can still see the tack holes & etc.

I agree with Claude. I laid out where I wanted the tacks lightly with a pencil, then predrilled with a micro-bit in a little hand drill (don't know the official term, but it looks like a small screwdriver). Did a great job. I went with 4 tacks along each side of the forarm near where my left hand lays, and 4 along the underside of the butt.

I mark as stated above, but I drill my holes with a 1/32 drill bit. I prefer to drill a hole that is about 1/2 depth of the shank length of the tack so the tip bites well into the wood of the stock. Place a piece of wood or leather over the brass end of the tack and tap it into place. This keeps you from buggering up the brass with the hammer.

Back