• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Seneca or Pedersoli Frontier, in .36 cal..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on which owners like best. I own several T/C rifles but all .50 cal, currently. I have one Pedersol Penn Dixie in .45, all of these rifles perform well.

I have owned one Seneca previously, a .45, dont think I ever shot it, then sold it. I know where I can get either rifle for reasonable cost, the Frontier for actually less than the Seneca. I read on another thread about keeping the chamber on the Frontier clean or may cause issues. The Seneca is smaller, and probably a tad lighter than the Frontier but its not an issue, be strictly a funner, not going to drag either thru the woods, those days are pretty much behind me

The Seneca I am looking at is used but very clean looking and I have dealt with the seller before, a good one. The Frontier is new old stock, unfired in the box from the 90's seller says.

According to Pedersoli the .36 cal is no longer offered in the Frontier. Decisions, decisions..

I have a Pedersoli Frontier percussion.32 caliber. Had it for many years now, use it for squirrel hunting. Very accurate and reliable rifle. Does take a bit longer to clean than some of my other rifles, but I’m satisfied with it and would recommend it to others. It’s killed a lot of squirrels.

Just looking for opinions on which owners like best. I own several T/C rifles but all .50 cal, currently. I have one Pedersol Penn Dixie in .45, all of these rifles perform well.

I have owned one Seneca previously, a .45, dont think I ever shot it, then sold it. I know where I can get either rifle for reasonable cost, the Frontier for actually less than the Seneca. I read on another thread about keeping the chamber on the Frontier clean or may cause issues. The Seneca is smaller, and probably a tad lighter than the Frontier but its not an issue, be strictly a funner, not going to drag either thru the woods, those days are pretty much behind me

The Seneca I am looking at is used but very clean looking and I have dealt with the seller before, a good one. The Frontier is new old stock, unfired in the box from the 90's seller says.

According to Pedersoli the .36 cal is no longer offered in the Frontier. Decisions, decisions..
I have a Pedersoli Frontier in .36 caliber. I love that rifle! It works well on squirrels and other varmints…plus it is a handsome rifle. My Frontier rifle carries and balances amazingly well. It’s one of my many firearms that I truly look forward to shooting.

I’ve never seen or held the TC rifle you mentioned, but I’ve never been disappointed in any of my TC guns.

I have a 32 cal Pedersoli Scout with both the percussion and flint locks. I no longer have a Seneca, but I do have a 45 cal Cherokee. The 32 cal Pedersoli Scout with the flint lock installed gets more use than the either the Cherokee or the Seneca ever did. The Pedersoli is bit more difficult to clean, though no big deal, but with the drop in the stock and how it shoots, it’s my choice out to 35 yards or so.

Now if it were me in your situation….
I know where I can get either rifle for reasonable cost, the Frontier for actually less than the Seneca.
I would make every effort to purchase both. After time at the range, make an informed decision. Keep one, sell the other. Or sell both. Or keep both. Doesn’t sound like there is any risk of losing money, and both guns can be difficult to find at times.

Good luck with your decision.

The Seneca, being smaller and lighter, might be more enjoyable for casual shooting, especially if you're not planning on taking it hunting. Its smaller size could also make it a bit more maneuverable, which could be a plus if you're shooting from different positions.
The Frontier, on the other hand, has that classic look and feel, and it's pretty cool that you've found an unfired, new old stock piece. That could add a bit of historical value and novelty to your collection. Plus, it's a bit of a bummer that Pedersoli no longer offers the .36 caliber in the Frontier, so this could be your chance to snag one before they become harder to find.
Both rifles should perform well, so it really comes down to which one you feel more drawn to. 🤔

I should have the Frontier .36 in hand tomorrow and will post up a couple pics.

Then today, I snagged for what I consider a steal of a price on Gunbroker, a Richland Arms Purdey replica .50 cal., same as the Garrett Arms offering.

Probably have that in a couple weeks or so. Been looking for one for some time, the only other one around also on GB has scope mount holes drilled into it and the price is more than double what I paid for the Richland rifle!
1717973310794.png

Back