• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c renegade ot CVA big bore.54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
last time i was in a gun shop last week i seen a used t/c renegade think it was a .50 also was a used CVA mountain rifle .54 bore each were in very good condition the t/c was $140.00 the CVA was $110.00 did not notice if it was a made in usa or not it had light blond wood (beech)? if i were to buy only one of them what would you buy ? and reason

Wow! What a choice to make! If you don't have enough money to buy both, go borrow it.. :wink:

If both are in good shape I suggest you find a way to buy both. Trust me you will not regret it later.

i can't afford ether to be honest. i could buy both of them but i owe a $200. elect deposit this month plus phone deposit and security deposit on my new apartment i just moved out of state. then i would need to live with out electric, phone or live in my van down by the river. :hmm: i can put on lay a way did that with the .45 i'm going to pick up therein a few days.social security don't pay enough to buy much. :surrender:

.54 big bore without a doubt!!

I bought one a few weeks ago and it is one heck of a shooter! This is my third one, wish i still had the other two.

:v At those prices, assuming that the bores are okay, and that you are on a limited budget. I would be inclined to the TC Renegade as if there is a problem with the lock or parts it would be covered under TC's lifetime warranty. Both would be good buys. :v

The warranty argument is a good one, but I would be inclined to go with the CVA. That is a bit jaded as I want a .54 though. Heck, I have a Renegade in .50 that just sits there...

wow, that's a tough choice...

i would go with the T/C, having had one for many years and it's always 'held up its end of the log.'

but that's just one guy's opinion.

good luck!

All have presented good opinions, but I would be inclined toward the Mountain Rifle.
My first muzzleloader was a CVA Frontier back in '83 and all my "off-the-rack" muzzleloaders have been CVA or Traditions, and they've always been "top shelf" at competitions, but then I'm partial.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Pork Chop said:
The warranty argument is a good one, but I would be inclined to go with the CVA. That is a bit jaded as I want a .54 though. Heck, I have a Renegade in .50 that just sits there...

I have a Renegade in .54 that sits there,and a CVA Hawkin .50 that doesn't get shot much, but I'd still like to have both :grin:

to heck with the tc and their warranty, you can buy them all over the place.

A 54 mountain rifle is not an everyday rifle that falls into your lap for $110. Especially one in good shape with no rust in the bore.

.50cal renegade is like a chevy engine, A Dime a dozen.

Im betting if you offered $90 for the cva and just scrunched up your nose and said that it "has" a beech stock, the guy would probably take it.

A .54 Mountain Rifle at that price?
Dont think about it ...GRAB IT!!!
It just dont git any Better than that!
it will probably be the once in a lifetime chance!

I am died in the wool T/c guy and would personally grab the Renegade as it will drop almost anything in north america and if you are skilled with it and had to it would most likely drop the big brown bears also.
But with tight money and the fact this might be a once in a lifetime purchase I would go for the .54 as in black powder shooting the size of the ball/bullet does matter.
I understand the hard finding those dollar bills as I am retired and not old enough for ss and they just do seem to be getting harder to find these days.
Check out the barrels real good as that can change the value real quick. If you find rust offer much less and maybe state that you will take both for $150 to take them off the guys hands and then go home and do a real good cleaning job and shoot them both a lot and see which you like better and maybe sell the one that just doesn't float your boat. Times are hard all over
shdwlkr

i went back to the place monday and picled up my ultra hi .45 cal rifle there.i looked at the CVA again. looks like it might have been a kit gun. the reason was the stick was made for two wedges only was one wedge installed on it that was the front one the rear one had no wedge installed nor was the metal thing that the wedge goes into on the stock. seems it was never installed no holes were there for the screws. not sure if in fact it is a "mountain rifle" was no model stamped on the barrel if i remember right i think it only said CVA or Connecticut valley arms .54 caliber then 3" or so back was a serial ? number. i did not notice if it said made in USA or not. had no patch box the stock did have a cheek piece or rest like a Monty Carlo it was squired off . double trigger had a silver or ? cap on the front of the stock. i for got to bring my camera again. so in fact is that a mt.rifle ? had close to a 32-33" barrel.

Its a CVA. The back key was left off for a reason, I am sure. They often didn't fit well. The gun is worth the $150.00 being asked. You can always restock it, and parts for the key, escutcheon, screws, and patchbox are easily obtained, if you insist. If the barrel is in good shape, it should be a good serviceable rifle, that is accurate. What more could you ask at that, or any price?

Buy the TC no other company stands behind it's products like TC. TC rifles are very well made. When you buy a TC products you know what you are getting. With some of the others it can be a manure shoot.

Back