• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Patriot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you could put a stronger spring in your back trigger to increase the trigger pull weight. That little
adj. screw , in mine,can only be used to make it lighter.

Redwing, Your right they do have a little adjusting screw behind the trigger guard but they are usually set so light at the factory that most shooters never use them. I forgot they were there.
I should be coming thru there Wed. afternoon. Email me some more directions so I can find you. I hope I remember to bring your rifle.

Hey .50 Gal don't let all these folks scare you away from shooting the TCP. If you are a pistol shooter, or any kind of shooter you are not going to shoot Mtns. or get confused about where you are.
The old TCPs are very sought after by shooters and high priced because they are good handguns. They were set up with the rear trigger to fire for a reason. Like any good handgun the trigger should be close to the grip. They have good sights and a good grip.
The reason they are no longer made is the T/C plant caught fire some years back. All of the pistol area was lost. T/C had a firm make them on custom runs only. These late guns were were not well made. T/C was more interested in the rifle line, and got out of handguns.
I can't understand a shooter who good not switch from one type of action to another. If that were so we would all have one type of firearm{or war club}. So gal get it fixed it will serve you well.
A Postive Comment on your Pistol in a Sea of Negatives.

Redwing :redthumb: :blue:

The Patriot has reversed double set triggers(front sets, rear releases) set at the factory with no adjustment screws.

They are adjustable. There is an allen screw through the back of the trigger guard to change the let off pressure.

I can't understand a shooter who good not switch from one type of action to another. If that were so we would all have one type of firearm{or war club}. So gal get it fixed it will serve you well.
A Postive Comment on your Pistol in a Sea of Negatives.

Redwing :redthumb: :blue:

That's easy to say, sitting in a comfortable chair in front of your monitor. However, if you have spent several hours practicing on a range in the hot sun, and are getting a little tired, and decide to switch to your rifle as a change of pace, it is VERY easy for your fingers to lag behind.

I believe that there was a shooter here who mentioned an incident in which a shooter put powder in his rifle, forgot he had done so, and blew down the barrel as so many do. The resulting detonation fried his lungs and killed him.

How many have dry balled, or worse, double charged a weapon? There are enough opportunities to screw up in muzzle loading without the manufacturer greasing the skids underfoot. :m2c:

I love shooting this pistol, so I am not going to give up hope. This is the only gun I have with a set trigger, so I don't have to worry too much about messing up. I am still have a problem with it so I am considering sending it to T/C for a little repair work. Thanks for all your advice, I need all the help I can get. :thanks:

due to this thread, I decided it was time to get my t/c patriot out of the back of the gun cabinent and give it a workout at the range today. BTW, I also own t/c hawkens in both cap and flint.
It is necessary to think about which trigger you are setting, but then if you do fire the wrong one, safe pistol shooting requires you to never aim a pistol at anything you are not willing to destroy. This is a golden rule of any type of shooting.
I took a few sighting shots and then with a copy of the target I normally shoot for the monthly muzzle blasts magazine postal shoot decided to shoot for score.
I shot the patriot for a better score then last week when I fired my t/c flinter for the monthly match.
This is one fine gun. Its a keeper.

You are right, you have spent too much time in the Hot Sun.
Take an NRA Basic Pistol Course in the shade.

Redwing :nono:

Unspellable - your comments about a light trigger are very valid. I shoot a variety of Olympic 50m pistols, also commonly known as "free" pistols. No, they dont' come that cheap! They're called "free" pistols because they're free from design constraints, whereas the other Olympic disciplines have very strict requirements for things like minimum trigger weight.

Anyhow... In shooting 50m pistol you're trying to use a single shot .22LR pistol to poke a hole in a target 50 meters away, with the 10-ring of the bullseye a mere 2" in diameter. It's kind of challenging. To help get the shots in the bull, most 50m pistols have very, very light triggers. I've weighed mine and not a single one of them is over two ounces, and in fact all of mine are under one ounce. It takes a heck of a lot of practice to get good with a trigger that light. But after you're used to it, sometimes it takes all you've got to make the shot break. Sounds kinda funny, but I can assure you it's the truth.

If you want to shoot your pistol with a light trigger, start off by just shooting caps. Shoot off 50 or so per session. Then after two or three sessions make every 2nd or 3rd shot a live load with powder and ball. Then work your way up 'til every shot is a live one. You'll be simply amazed at how accurate you can be.

And no, I don't own a Patriot pistol, but surely wish I did. My friend has one in .45 and I lust over it...

It occurs to me that the reversed trigger position may be the reason the Patriot is set up to fire only in set mode. If you pull the rear trigger by mistake nothing happens if you have not set it yet. If you pull the front trigger by mistake, the worst is that you set the trigger.

As for the adjustment I'll have to look again. My first impression was that it adjusts the creep rather the the pull.

Maybe I should view it as a free style pistol and leave the trigger as is.

You right on all counts except the trigger. The small allen head screw behind the guard changes the weight of the pull not the creep. Of course as you lightin the pull you reduce the amount of felt creep.

Redwing :redthumb:

Back