• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New Englander 12ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys; just bought a T/C New Englander 12ga shotgun. Any comments or insights on this gun? It is the cylinder bore version without choke tubes. Any favorite loads? I plan to use it on clays, woodcock, and partridge. Any experience any of you have will surely help me! Anyone ever shoot round balls out of their 12ga New Englander barrels? Accuracy?
Thanks
Edward Lee

I had one but mine had screw in chokes. I now have a double barrel .12 ga. with cylinder bore barrels. You should be ok using the standard shotgun loads of equal volumes of powder and shot, (ie) 70 grs of powder and a 70 gr measure of shot, which would be close to 1 oz. 80 gr volume of shot = 1 1/8 oz, and 90 = 1 1/4 oz. Put in your powder then either a thick over powder wad, or 2 or 3 thin overshot card wads, then the shot and an other overshot card. Only by shooting a lot of shot at pattern boards will you actually know what is the best load. You can usually tighten patterns by using a little more lead than powder. If you have a cylinder bore you can shoot a .690 rd. ball. My double shoots good with 80 grs of Pyrodex RS, an overshot wad, a lubed fiber cushion wad, and then the patched round ball. Hope this helps.

Thanks Rebel and Stumpkiller...I will try busting a few clay birds this w/end, as well as fooling around with getting a decent pattern. Too bad it is such a long way til bird season!
ELee

Too bad it is such a long way til bird season!
ELee

What about spring turkey season?

I've got a T/C New Englander with a screw in choke & that's been my favorite turkey gun for years now. I load it with 100gr. FFg Goex, two Wonder Wads, 100gr. #5 magnum shot, followed by another Wonder Wad.....does a great job!

Keep it simple. Make a combined shot and powder measure, good for general field use. Take a modern 12 gauge hull. Set it on it's base and cut it off exactly one inch tall. Affix a wire handle by soldering it to the base or wrap it around the body of the hull and epoxy it on. I used J-B Weld.

One dipper of powder (I use Goex ffg but have shot Pyrodex), two overshot cards, one dipper of shot (my CVA Trapper patterns #6 best but isn't too fussy), one more overshot card. Put your Remington #11 cap on the nipple and go break claybirds like crazy!

GrayBear

I just traded my TC for a Brown Bess. My TC likewise was cyl. bored. It shot good groups with a .715 ball and a real thin patch over 90 gr of FF. Because the patching was thin I'd use a overpowder wad also. The gun shot 8 or 10 " left at 50 yards, so I put a paint dot on the tang to straighten it out. Groups were quite impressive!

Have fun!

JW

Smoothbores shoot ball suprisingly well, to the un-initiated, and you sure don't need a choke to get nice tight shot patterns.

Wonder Wads work...WONDERS underneath any kind of ball load. I use them with shot loads too and it seems to keep the fouling to a minimum.

Those New-Englanders sound like neat guns.

Rat

Edward Lee your fortunate, I've been trying to buy one of those for years, KTP gets them in once in a while but I've always missed them. BTW did you or your father ever live in Lawrence,or Methuen, Mass.? My father and mother had friends with your name.

harrys

Just worked up a good turkey load for my New Englander today (also 12ga. cyliner bore). 90gr. FFg, overpowder card, pre-lubed wad, steel shot cup with 1 3/8 oz. shot and 1 overshot card. My gun actually patterned 4's better than 6's. Heavier shot lods were startig to impact to the left. Tried a 100gr. FFg load and it blew the pattern all over the page.

Hey Harrys...interesting.....I worked at the KTP as a gun buyer for 8 years. No relatives in Methuen though! E-mail me...we probably know each other and dont realize it!
ELee

I have a 12 ga. T/C Black Mountain Magnum with screw in choke tubes which is very similar to T/C New Englander. Just curious as to what choke you use for turkeys and what type pattern do you get? Thanks.

Ed Lee I usually make Bob's Clam bar 40-45 times a year and never miss going over to KTP and going through shooting sports,archery and fishing sections,my wife enjoys the outlets like Lennox ect. its a nice way to spend a friday evening.

Harrys

I had one, sold it in a week moment cause the 50cal barrel didn't shoot well. I love the shotgun. I even shot a few gease with it with steel shot and steel shot cups.Have fun.

Shoe

Back