• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .50 CAL.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV MZL HUNTER

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My T/C .50 Cal. silver elite just started hanging up on half cock when firing at times. Not all the time just every once in a while. Is a part getting wore down? I have fired close to or over thousand rounds through this muzzleloader.

Something you might want to check is to be sure your bridle screws in your lock are tightened down. The bridle is the plate that holds all your internal parts down and snug to your lockplate. If the fly is not held down in place between the bridle and lockplate it will not function correctly and when the hammer is fired from the cock position it will hangup in the half cock notch on your tumbler.

Another thing you can try to see if this is indeed your problem is to cock the hammer back and see if it will fire from the front trigger only. If it does then there is a good chance that your bridle screws are loose. If your hammer is sticking in the half cock position everytime you set the front trigger with your set trigger(back trigger) then there is indeed a good chance your bridle is loose.

Lastly, be sure your internal moving parts in your lock are also well oiled.

Check that out and get back to us.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Excellent advice, Cowboy! Had the very same problem with the bridle screws on a used (practically new), but new-to-me T/C .56cal. smoothbore. Polished the parts, used loctite, and lubricated the internals and all was perfect.

i'll add my vote to the consensus: looks like Cowboy is onto the best starting point.

good luck with your project!

Oh Boy! I sure do love the comments and would love to bask in the glory of my vast knowledge but I truly can't take the credit for this solution to the problem if that is what it ends up being.

The reason!!, the same thing had happened to me earlier this month using my GPR. Was at a shooting event when it happened! I fired and the hammer fell into the half cock position! I didn't know what to think and never seen this before? :youcrazy:

After two attempts, Jethro told me to cock the hammer back and use only the front trigger without setting it. It fired without a hitch. He immediately diagnosed the problem. We pulled the lock out and tightened the bridle screws down. Through alot of firing they had worked themselves loose.

Put the lock back in the GPR and I finished the rest of the shoot without a hitch!

It happened to me and someone told me how to diagnose and fix the problem. I learned from the incident and now I'm in a position to pass along the same information to you!

You never stop learning from one another!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

It's been a long time since I owned a T/C Hawken, but if I remember it correctly, mine would fire from the front trigger. I thought that was routine. Never had a partial fire that I can remember.

Gene, Yes a TC Hawken will fire from a front trigger ( unset).

What I was referring to is that if the front trigger ( when it's set), the hammer falls into a half cocked position but will fire normally (unset). This is just a way to diagnose that there may be a problem stemming from loose bridle screws. Jethro diagnosed this problem right off the bat after seeing that the front trigger functioned normally unset but while set would catch in the half cock notch on the tumbler. The loose bridle screws were preventing the fly from blocking the half cock notch when the hammer was in a downward motion after being fired from a set front trigger.

I hope I explained this clearly? I'm not the best when it comes to putting my thoughts down in an understandable manner.

Respectfully, Cowboy

THANKS !! I am out of town till Wednesday but I will check this out, thanks again.
I will let you know what I find.

Hope it all works out for you my friend.

Oh and BTW, Don't do what I did and forget to put your lock bolt bushing back in! Mine fell out and I didn't notice it had until I got back home. Ended up taking the one out of my Lyman Deerstalker to put in my GPR. Ordered a couple from Dixon's which came in the mail today. All is good to go now.

Ya know the Cowboy is not the brightest light bulb out there at times! :hmm:

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

You never stop learning from one another!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup: [/quote]

If ya dont listen ya stop learning. ALOT of this going around these days.

ME? I own my mistakes, learn from em, share em, and learn from others mistakes so I dont repeat em. Unless they are reaaly off (like the time a guy told me he learned not to use spit as the salt in yer mouth will IMMEDIATELY rust the bore. He votes on Wednesday :doh: (and eats anchovies?)

I eat anchovies?
:shocked2: :shocked2:

Lock bolt bushing? All I did was clean lock then oil it and tightened it up. It was very loose, is the bushing around the screws? Or just a spacer between the two bird screws?
I tighten the screws so tight that I had to loosen back up for hammer to work smooth. Think I am missing my bushing?

the lock bushin' is that washer on the offside of yer stock that yer lock bolt goes through to keep it from pullin' into the wood.

All ok, I though maybe a bushing/spacer inside under the plate where the screws I tighten up. I just snugged screws and lock seem ok now. My TC lock looks a little different than pic. On line. Mine has a plate with two screws holding hammer. I'll try post pictures later. Got to get on tractor get caught up on fields today 🙄

if it has two lock bolts you may have a CVA instead of a T/C.

I seen the picture before it was removed.
I tried to post picture of a TC LOCK but I am blocked out on this computer (at work) But if someone has time they can look up TC lock and see the two screws numbered #50 that I tighten up and the hammer was TOOO tight and I had to loosen back up in order for the hammer to work smooth.
It seem to be ok, I plan??? or hope to get to the range soon to do some shooting and see if it holds up. Thanks to all you men for the information.
Yes my gun is a TC silver elite, I have several TC's

the two screws inside the lock would be the bridle screws. they are notorious for not stayin' tight. but unless yer lockplate is out of spec or the tumbler or sear bent/boogered or gummed up it shouldn't cause the hammer to be too tight.

anyway, luck & have a good'en, bubba.

Latest posts

Back