• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Synthetic Sperm Whale Oil...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon74

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone used dixie gunworks synthetic whale oil. Question is can it harm a guns wood finish???

Thanks in advance-

:hmm: "Synthetic whale oil"

I wonder if it comes from Synthetic Whales? :grin:

I did some research on this and found it comes from a plant called Jojoba (The oil of its seeds)It's almost identical in chemical composition to sperm whale oil.

Jojoba is used in cosmetics, and shampoos, and prob. would be safe to use on wood.

Here is what Dixie GW has to say about it.

A synthetic oil that equals that brought by the American whaling ships to New England in the 1800s and used by early gunsmiths. It is excellent for gun stocks, as a penetrating oil and as a lubricant for percussion or flint locks, and for firing pins in breechloaders. This oil is good for muzzleloading patches and can be used in heat treating metal parts. Ideal in tempering the bright, light color of new ivory grips. 8 oz. plastic bottle. Non petroleum.

Wikipedia says, "Whale oil is chemically a liquid wax and not a true oil. It flows readily, is clear, and varies in colour from a bright honey yellow to a dark brown..."

Wikipedia also says, "Jojoba is grown for the liquid wax (commonly called jojoba oil) in its seeds..."

This would seem to indicate that the two oils may indeed have some similarities.

It also probably explains why Whale Oil seems to last a long time without going rancid.

If it comes from a natural plant seed, then how is it synthetic? :youcrazy: :blah:

That was my take on it too! It should be called a substitute for whale oil, and not a synthetic!

I used it for years with good results. You can buy it in most health food stores. Just make sure you get the pure oil. I have also used real whale oil. David Wright (the artist) gave me a small bottle. Olive oil works just as well. Most oils will not go rancid if properly treated. I had a jar of bear oil that was over 20 years old that smelled fine. I've also had deer tallow last for years with no problem.

I have used JoJoba oil to oil the interal parts of my lock for years. No harm to wood, and the oil does not seem to congeal- no matter how long between cleanings or use. I would not call it a " Synthetic oil" or anything of that nature, since it comes from a plant. It just happens to be a fine, wax based oil with very similar properties to the original Whale Oils.

I have tried TefOil, a true synthetic oil, and it too seems to never congeal, and works to very cold temperatures. Its main drawback is that it is so expensive!

"synthetic" in oil usually doesn't mean that it was created in some unnatural lab. It is somewhat distilled so all the molecule chains are the same length because in "real" oil the short molecules evaporate off relatively quickly leaving only sludge so its very possible for synthetic oil to come from plants.
hope that clears things up
as with any information that comes from me could be manure so, ask my wife she knows everything :surrender:
Ben

Jojoba oil is actually extracted from the wax in the beans of the Jojoba plant. To do so, the wax has not only to be heated to its melting point, but then the "oil" has to be filtered, and treated so that it remains " thin" at normal temperatures. To that extent, the plant oil is processed, and therefore synthetic.

However, other oils are synthesized from chemicals, rather than from petroleum, or plants. Synthetic oils, and fuels were studied extensively as a national defense issue during WWII, by both Germany, and here in America. Synthetic fuels can be made, but the oil companies have been able to keep the price of oil based gasoline and diesel fuel low enough that these alternative fuels have not seen commercial use. Where you see extensive use of synthetic oils is in the airline industry, because of the extreme range of temperatures those oils have to survive in keeping those engines working.

Whale oil is rendered from whale blubber.

Spermacetti is from the junk case or head case of the sperm whale. It was separated into liquid and solid. The solid looks like crystalized parafin wax.

Waxes are modified fats.

Yes, you have to be a head case to know all this stuff :youcrazy:

:rotf:

Just to throw this out amongst the masses, Jojoba oil was used as to help men and or women to rejuvenate the hair folicals and cause hair to grow where it was thinning or had fallen out totally............my folks used to pick the jojoba nuts and sell them I think it was during the 70's or 80's or so.....

I get this oil called "Nyoil" at my local gunsmith and he says it's synthetic sperm whale oil. It is really good stuff and doesn't get gooey or thick in time. I've used it for years.

I understand that automatic transmission fluid serves as a sperm oil subsitute in the famous Ed's Red home-mixed gun cleaning solvent. There's plenty on-line about Ed's Red, but being a petroleum based solvent probably isn't what most muzzle loaders would be interested in.

Back