• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old time lub

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Back when I first started shooting black powder, sperm whale oil was considered the best lube to use and you could get it at the Log cabin by the pint.I still believe it was the best as a lube, but it really wasn't much as a rust preventive. When they passed the law regulating the sale of it my neighbor who was in his seventies told me to use a mixture of lard and bees wax which I still use. Dixi does sell a synthetic whale oil made from jabola beans whuch smells, looks and works as well as I can tell. I kept my last bottle of the real stuff, just because.

Attachments

• sperm whale oil.jpg
    sperm whale oil.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 60
Dixi does sell a synthetic whale oil made from jabola beans whuch smells, looks and works as well as I can tell. I kept my last bottle of the real stuff, just because.
Jajoba bean oil? I'm planning on getting some of that. It's very easily available.

I'm using a combo of olive oil and Simple Green now. Working great in my .32. But I thought I'd try jojoba oil in place of the olive oil. No particular reason. Just curiosity. I'm not inclined to use it for rust protection or meta protection. For that I'm now using Montana Extreme gun oil.

In what percentages is your lube recipe?
Usually just eyeball it, the more bees wax the stiffer the lube (good for warm weather) the less bees wax the softer the lube (good for colder weather) if I had to guess I would start with 1/4 cup melted bees wax, a big spoon full of un-salted lard and a splash of olive oil and go from there adjusting the three until you get the consitiency desired. Guess it really does not matter the amounts of each, what I go for is the temp. ranges I will be using it in, I also use this for my BPCRs and rvolvers has always worked well for either applications. To start I suggest 30% bees wax-10% lard and 5% olive oil. I have been making and using this lube for a long time just never thought about percentsages of each indregient.

Sperm whale oil.
I just checked several flint guns for how the barrel was doing. Running dry patch down bore and seeing what it looked like. My rifles using Sperm whale oil for patch lube and in the barrel after cleaning came out with no rust signs after sitting for over a year. Newer acquired ones all showed lots of rust on patches. recleaned and lubed.
Sperm whale oil as I understand will form a type of wax as it sits in the bore over time stopping any moisture gathering.
Carney

I been using Jojoba oil on paper strips for a long time. Good stuff that Jojoba oil. Just a few drops goes a long long way. Same with most other oils.
If I ever run out will go back to PSF or 3 in one oil. Or mineral oil or olive oil. A friend gave me a metal oiler and said it was still full of sperm oil. Told him the oil was worth more than the bottle. But I doubt it's really sperm oil lol.

Back when I first started shooting black powder, sperm whale oil was considered the best lube to use and you could get it at the Log cabin by the pint.I still believe it was the best as a lube, but it really wasn't much as a rust preventive. When they passed the law regulating the sale of it my neighbor who was in his seventies told me to use a mixture of lard and bees wax which I still use. Dixi does sell a synthetic whale oil made from jabola beans whuch smells, looks and works as well as I can tell. I kept my last bottle of the real stuff, just because.
Bought a bottle of Sperm Whale Oil way back in the day from White's Buffalo sporting goods. Still have about 1/4 of the bottle. I lube each patch individually and then when I get about 100, I stack them up and put them in my vise, with a small bowl to catch the oil. I turn down the vise and as I do the oil is squeezed out of the patches. I retrieve about 90%+ of the oil. The patches still remain extremely slippery.The will keep like this for months and months. What I have will probably last me for another 10 years or so. It really works great. AJ White has since passed away and I haven't found a source for real Sperm whale oil,,,only synthetic.

Knew A.J. well, that was probable some I sold him.
One of the main uses for Sperm Oil before synthetic oil was in automatic transmission fluid. Southwest grease and oil used train tank cars of it for that purpose. A club members wife worked there and a couple of cases of beer would get you the overage of several gallons.
One thing about it is that you can precut, lube linen patches and store them in a sealed jar and they do not rot. I have used patches that I had stored 10 years.

Knew A.J. well, that was probable some I sold him.
One of the main uses for Sperm Oil before synthetic oil was in automatic transmission fluid. Southwest grease and oil used train tank cars of it for that purpose. A club members wife worked there and a couple of cases of beer would get you the overage of several gallons.
One thing about it is that you can precut, lube linen patches and store them in a sealed jar and they do not rot. I have used patches that I had stored 10 years.
Dexron III was the ATF developed to replace whale oil. Never tried it as a lube

Latest posts

Back