• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canandball’s bullet lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. I hope everyone is doing well.

Like most of us here, I’m a fan of the Capandball YouTube channel, and I support it in my small way through Patreon. There is a member‘s bulletin board there do leave comments and questions but I never see any replies.

The good Dr. Nemeth Balazs often mentions his bullet lubricant is a mixture of tallow, beeswax and “a little bit of synthetic motor oil”.

Has anyone ever tried synthetic oil in their lubricant recipe, and if so what was your ratio? What were your results? This question has been asked on the Patreon Capandball site but no response.

Yes, I‘m aware synthetic oil is not traditional or “old timey”.

Regards to all

Blowing dust off this thread, I have found the answer

It‘s 1 part beeswax, 2 parts tallow and 2 parts synthetic engine oil.

I’ve been using 50% beeswax, 25% tallow and 25% neatsfoot oil with good results but I’ll try this next and report on my results

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well.

Like most of us here, I’m a fan of the Capandball YouTube channel, and I support it in my small way through Patreon. There is a member‘s bulletin board there do leave comments and questions but I never see any replies.

The good Dr. Nemeth Balazs often mentions his bullet lubricant is a mixture of tallow, beeswax and “a little bit of synthetic motor oil”.

Has anyone ever tried synthetic oil in their lubricant recipe, and if so what was your ratio? What were your results? This question has been asked on the Patreon Capandball site but no response.

Yes, I‘m aware synthetic oil is not traditional or “old timey”.

Regards to all
So sorry I missed this when it was first posted..,

Many of us have experienced rather negative reactions from black powder fowling and anything petroleum based, when it comes to bullet lube.
I wonder then if Dr. N at Capandball is using a "sythetic" oil that is based on a biologic source? I know that some transmission oils were once bio sourced, and replacements were to duplicate those properties.

I use simply Beeswax and olive oil. Not because it's "old timey" but because it's works great, and is cheap, it has numerous other applications (candle fuel, water proofing, topical skin treatment) and doesn't expose me to chemicals made in a lab. ;)

LD

Weight or Volume?
I found the recipe in an old issue of Pedersoli Black Powder No.1 from August 2011.

I tried many good lube recipes, but I found that the easiest is the best: 2 parts of beeswax, 4 parts tallow, 4 parts synthetic motor oil.

I suppose it doesn’t matter if the ingredients are measured by weight or volume, as long as they are all measured the same way. Personally I make my current lubricant by weighing everything.

Back