• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SxS triggers for a lefty

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbeauvin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a double barrel muzzleloading shotgun, but I was wondering -- would the trigger offsets pose a problem for a left handed shooter?

Thanks,
GB

I'm a lefty and shoot right handed doubles all the time and have no trouble so you're good to go as far as I can tell :thumbsup:

i too am a lefty, my dad told a story of my lefty cousin using his fathers double shotgun the first time, put his finger through the front trigger far enough that he caught the back one too the first time he fired it, knocked him off the top of the hay wagon and broke his arm in the fall, just heard the story cant verify it but make sure you don't let off both barrels because of the offset of the triggers

I can see how it might be possible to do but it would likely have to be a deliberate effort to get your knuckle to contact the other trigger, probably not something too likely to happen by accident. I have an old double that would occasionally fire both barrels when only one trigger was pulled, but that went away after recutting the trigger sear.

Lefty here and over 50 years of double triggers (both modern and muzzleloaders) has never been a problem. Stock cast-off for righty shooters is a big concern, but not the triggers.

Only place I run into issues with the triggers affects both lefty and righty shooters, and that's order of fire. Lotta lotta folks use the front trigger first, and if the guns are choked for that, the front trigger is usually the more open choke. But I was trained/conditioned to use the rear trigger first on heavy recoilers (large cal double rifles), so that a finger slip in recoil doesn't drop back and fire the second barrel as well. Can't break the habit, and it still gives me the willies to pull that front trigger first.

Thankfully not an issue on the muzzleloading double shotguns I prefer- Cylinder bore in both barrels, so it doesn't matter choke-wise which I pull first.

Fine tuning of style and form in my case, but that little 1/8" or so lateral spread between the front and rear triggers shouldn't be an issue for run-of-the-mill lefty shooting.

I too am a lefty. Doubles are not a problem what so ever. I conditioned myself thru practice and have enjoyed shooting and hunting with double shotguns.

Thanks, guys! You have put my fears at ease. The seller claims there is no cast, and no choke markings (I'm hoping for cyl bores). Still have to talk to the CFO, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger (so to speak).

Out of curiosity, how hard (expensive) is it to hone out a fixed choke to either cylinder or a jug choke?

-GB

It's quite simple to find out how your projected purchased is choked or NOT choked. - Use a micrometer, measure the bores & compare those measurements.

I'm a southpaw & started buying DB muzzleloaders primarily because of the versatility of those firearms AND that they work well for either handed shooters.

IF you desire a firearm that shoots both shot & ball/conicals WELL, find yourself a CAPE-GUN with one rifled & one smooth barrel.

WARNING: Buying your first Cape-gun may become dangerous to your pocketbook, as acquiring such weapons may become "addictive".

yours, satx

A left handed friend wanted to try my Pedersoli 12ga. Don't quite know how he did it, but he got both barrels to go off almost at the same time, it was a "bo-boom". He didn't fall over, but he took a few steps backward. But if you know my buddy, you know he has a special talent to unintentionally do the impossible!

Dollars to donuts, he had a finger on each trigger, rather than using one.

As for honing out existing chokes, I can only quote you Alaska prices. It cost me $60 for one barrel on a modern gun. I assume the same would apply for a muzzleloader.

If I recall correctly Caywood does jug choking and could give you a price. If they're not the source, I'm hoping someone will set me (and you) straight on a source.

The slope of a double trigger is right hand friendly. However lefty shooters do not seem have too much trouble.

I have shot a lot of double trigger and have had only a couple of doubles discharges. It usually occurred because I did not get a good purchase on the front trigger and recoil caused my finger to slip and bump the back trigger.

I shoot skeet every week with a side by side double trigger gun. I am too much of a traditionalist to change. :wink:

Back