• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

swivel breech rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been wanting a swivel breech rifle for some time. I have found a Pedersoli in 54 and wondered if anyone could give me more info about them and first hand opinion. I have also heard of one made by Hopkins and Allen in 45. Was wanting to know the same about it. Anyone know where one might be for sell? :thumbsup: Thanks for all who respond.

I have been wanting a swivel breech rifle for some time. I have found a Pedersoli in 54 and wondered if anyone could give me more info about them and first hand opinion. I have also heard of one made by Hopkins and Allen in 45. Was wanting to know the same about it. Anyone know where one might be for sell? :thumbsup: Thanks for all who respond.

:what: Swivel Breech? Please fill me in on this I have no idea what kind of gun this is. I could not find it on the Pedersoli website.

Hi,I have a L.Day swivel in 54 cal and am very fond of it.I definately prefere it over any of the over under or side by sides as it has sights on each barrel.I had one of those hopkins and allen 45s years ago and my only compaint was it was loose at the swivel point and did make noise.There was no way to tighten it like the L.Day.I saw a pedersoli once in a pawn shop in 50 cal.It was alright and the thing I remember most besides its boxy shaped stock was to swivel it you just turned it.There was no locking mechanism on it so you had to be careful it lined up properly before fireing it.Also have seen the pedersolis sell on auction arms quite reasonabley priced I think the last one went for 275.00.They wanted 395.00 at the pawn shop for theres.

I, too, like Leonard's swivel breech guns. I'm having one built as we speak--a Jaeger with 24", .62 caliber barrels. Should have it before the snow flies.
This is not a good type of rifle to try and save money on because it does need to be tight and line up precisely. And inexpensive guns usually lack the adjustment needed to tighten the action up after thousands of rounds are fired.

I ran across Dave Waters at Friendship last month. He makes swivelbreech flintlocks. He had a couple he showed me. They were fantastic pieces of workmanship. I didn't even bother to ask what they were going for. You can check out his wares @ www.swivelbreech.com. It iw worth going there just to look!

Ive had my L.Day now for bout 15 years and I agree with you about not cuttin corners on a swivel gun.Ive never had to tihten mine up but was given instructions on how to when I bought it.I cant say enough about days guns.Mine is as pretty as a gun can get and shoots as good as it looks.I know you are gonna love yours. :m2c:

I emailed dave waters last month and asked him about building me a gun and he told me he didnt build them anymore and offered to sell me his book.Its herd to figure people sometimes.

I would geuss the book would be good to have for those talented enough to take on such a project.I am needing a 45 cal swivel and would sure like to have a 40 or 36.What is leanord day charging these day to build his.

It varies. Why don't you call him? He can quote you price over the phone. You can talk over barrel length and different stock woods. As for calibers, you can have different bores in each barrel. Or one barrel rifled and the other smooth. He's a real good guy and he's been doing this for awhile--my rifle is #602!
413-527-0184

Ive tried several times to call him and havent had much luck.When would be the best time you recon.I just wonder if I couldnt have some barrels made for my rifle.I went and looked and mine dont have a number but the papers that came with it say it is a DAY PRE HAWKEN STYLE.

Leonard makes the Pre-Hawken, and a lighter rifle, too. I can't quote prices because I don't know what they are. I provided some bits and pieces and the barrels, and my rifle is not a standard gun, so I can't help you there. I would call Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. It's possible that he would make up a set of extra barrels for you, but I expect you'd need to send him your rifle so he can fit them properly.

I bought a L. Day 50 cal. flintlock swivel gun at the Kalamazoo show from a guy for $1000, I don't know if that was good or bad but I love it so it realy didn't matter, the gun is very nice and shoots right on. good luck with your search. :m2c:

Guncellar,you did good Ive done some looking into the Day swivel rifles and some had sold for as much as 1600.00 and a friend was offered quite abit more for his.I have a nice 45 in perc wish it was a flinter but. Ya know this was the only rifle my wife ever gave any input into buying she just thought it was beutifull ! :front:

Yea he did good.L.days guns have sky rocketed in price these days when you can find one.I dont know why as he aparently is still making them.I gave 650.00 for mine back in 1990 and bought it unused 2nd hand.Dixie had one that was built from a kit a year ago that sold for 1375.00.

As I recall DGW sold a Swivel Breech back in the 70s. It
sold for $450.00. You good buy T/Cs and such for around
a $100.00 back then. Granted the others were not S/B
rifles but that was a lot of money back then.
I have never seen one of these or know he made them. The
S/B rifles were in DGW catalogs for some years. Maybe
one you fellows out there know about the S/B DGW.
A movie I think "The Kentuckian" with Bert Lancaster had a
fellow using an S/B rifle. It really got interest going
in these rifles for awhile. I may be off on the name of
the movie but it was not "The Fighting Kentuckian" with
the "Duke".

:redthumb:

redwing

I think the movie was "The Big Sky" with Kirk Douglas and Dewey Martin. The rifle is discussed briefly but humorously at the beginning of the film. Martin was actually a descendant of Boone.
The Dixie swivel breech rifles were Leonard's guns. There were a couple of cheaper models over the years by various makers, but none were of the quality of Leonard's rifles.
It may be worth noting that most of Leonard's swivel breech guns were flintlocks and don't appear for sale very often. Their owners--the ones that I know--love them and use them often.

Does anybody know how many guns leanord made.Mine is #288 and it is a percusion 54 cal.It seems to me if he made them for DGW for years the serial# should be much higher.The feller getin the jager swivel gun said his would be #602.I know I will never sell mine.Its a keeper.It will be passed down to one of my sons.

Mine will be # 602, but that is the serial range for swivel breeches. It doesn't take into account all the pistols, fowlers and custom orders. I happened to run into Leonard's son today and we were talking about this very thing. We figure the total number is way over a thousand and probably over two thousand.

Back