• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss, German, Goex?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

40 Cal
Reaction score
I found a place that has powder but I do not know enough to know the difference in these powders. They told me that they have swiss and German in 3F.

Is 3F, 3F no matter what?

3F is the screen size used to sieve the powder so 3F is 3F, BUT the mesh sizes have a hi/lo range and the ranges overlap with the sizes above and below.. That puts some variation in the amounts that a volume measure will hold. Compared to GOEX, you can just use a little less(10%??) of the Schuetzen and Swiss.

@Stone, as @EC121 stated, 3f is screen size. There are subtle differences in composition quality of the potassium nitrate and the wood used to supply the carbon. There may be different presses used to increase the density of the powder. Swiss is a high-quality sporting grade powder and using the same volume measure will generate higher velocities than Scheutzen or Wano. Scheutzen and Wano powders are good powders and at the lower price point many prefer them to Swiss powders.

Stone not sure where you are buying powder but be cautious if they say they have all three brands as there are a couple of sites advertising powder right now that are scams.

Who and where are the scammers? Folks need to know.

Wow! It's frightening how much BP costs these days. I was visiting Powder , Inc and Swiss was $328.80 for 10 pounds. The last time I bought Swiss, it was $15/lb and thought that was highway robbery. I remember Goex going for $6/lb back in the seventies. I'm glad I still have a quantity stored away. If I'm shooting a 70 gr load of Swiss today, that's just shy of 33 cents per load! BP used to be cheap, and fun!

Wow! It's frightening how much BP costs these days. I was visiting Powder , Inc and Swiss was $328.80 for 10 pounds. The last time I bought Swiss, it was $15/lb and thought that was highway robbery. I remember Goex going for $6/lb back in the seventies. I'm glad I still have a quantity stored away. If I'm shooting a 70 gr load of Swiss today, that's just shy of 33 cents per load! BP used to be cheap, and fun!
Sounds like you don't do much shootin' 😜

"I remember Goex going for $6/lb back in the seventies."

In the 70's I was poor enough I qualified of the earned income credit.

Everything is relative.

My rate of pay is about 20 times greater now than it was in the 70s. 20 times $6 is $120. I will gladly pay $30 a pound for BP, and I won't P&M about how great everything was in the bad old days.

Yep, $6 in 1975 was worth $29.32 in 2020.
Yes, I know, the inflation. I was just reminiscing! I bought Unique powder from Walmart back in the seventies too, for about $5 something a pound, or was it cheaper than that? Primers were about a penny ea. If Sam Walton were still alive today! Things wouldn't be as cheap, but they would still carry reloading supplies, I bet.

Last edited:
Back