• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swapping Hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Since you have to pay to use Classifieds I see that no one is posting hunting swaps there any more. How are people now arranging these. I would love to hunt some Wild Turkey and Hogs, both of which are in very short supply here in Alberta. We don't have a real primitive weapons season here for big game but we do have very good varmint shooting year round. Gophers, coyotes, crows, magpies etc. We also have some pretty good goose and duck hunting.

Dean2 said:
Since you have to pay to use Classifieds I see that no one is posting hunting swaps there any more. How are people now arranging these. I would love to hunt some Wild Turkey and Hogs, both of which are in very short supply here in Alberta. We don't have a real primitive weapons season here for big game but we do have very good varmint shooting year round. Gophers, coyotes, crows, magpies etc. We also have some pretty good goose and duck hunting.

Posting huntings swaps is some what of a very risky venture.

In Texas 98% of the land is private, last year I leased a portion of my ranch after much thought, the fellow has been very nice to me. Actually letting folks I do not know onto my land, I would be hesitant.

I have no turkeys, but do have hogs, they are very transiet, here today and gone in the morning.

The legal liability is huge, will not say what I pay in insurance permiums.

Apperciate your efforts, in our part of Texas, we now lock our gates before dark, trucks in the barns and house is locked.

I think you are misinterpreting what I mean as a swap hunt. In our way of doing it, fellow comes here and I guide them hunting for whatever length of time hunting deer, bear, yotes or whatever they are interested in. In exchange I meet him where he lives and he guides me for whatever is in his area.

As an example, guided two German fellows for Black Bear here in Alberta. In return, we went to Germany and Hungary and they guided me for Red Deer and Wild Boar.

In another case I guided a fellow Trout fishing on the Bow River for a few days, he guided me Turkey hunting in Pennsylvania.

In both cases we all hunted and fished like we would with anyone else we normally go with, the guiding was just the sharing of local knowledge and locations.

In most of Europe and lots of parts of Canada the Liability is always on the hunter, whether on public or private land. The landowner is specifically exempt from any liability. Most of us carry 5 million in Liability insurance in case of accidents while hunting. Odd to hear the landowner in the States would bear any responsibility for accidents caused by someone hunting on their land.

We have some real sleezy lawers. A "good" one can get a settlement of 5% negligence cuz you was born on Tuesday instead of Monday like the due date said and thus should not have not been driving when the accident occurred. $250,000.00 (5% of yer policy) is alot. And if ya dont like it they then sue yer Mom for not pushing hard enough :td:

Claude said:
Dean2 said:
Since you have to pay to use Classifieds I see that no one is posting hunting swaps there any more.
What makes you think you have to pay?
Maybe he hasn't checked in awhile, we did have "premium members only" for a year or so before you switched back.
Dean2,, it's back to being open to all,,

Richard Eames said:
The legal liability is huge, will not say what I pay in insurance premiums.
Likewise here in Minn.
Unless your family or a very close friend almost all private land is off limits to us common folks,
Insurance companies, Lawyers and Liability issues.
A landowner simply can't take the chance anymore.
Sad but true,,

In Colorado you have to be careful because taking almost anything (including trading hunts) is considered "payment" and you MUST be a licensed Guide to legally take payment for a hunt. Even a tank of gas can be a dicey thing if the other hunter is from out of state.

I think this is mostly used to keep unlicensed guides from slipping the law by saying "I didn't get paid, he just bought 500 pounds of dog food for my hounds after the lion hunt. But I didn't get paid" that said I know I am vary careful not to connect any quid pro quo to any times I have taken someone to get there Mule deer. All I need is some shirt tail relative telling Johnny Law "Yea, he took me up and I got this nice deer, but I'm going to pay him back it's all worked out" :doh:

necchi said:
Claude said:
Dean2 said:
Since you have to pay to use Classifieds I see that no one is posting hunting swaps there any more.
What makes you think you have to pay?
Maybe he hasn't checked in awhile, we did have "premium members only" for a year or so before you switched back.
Dean2,, it's back to being open to all,,

This. I didn't know it had changed back to open to all. Wonder how many others missed that change?

Did you get a red deer? We have heaps of them as well as several other species of deer. Buffalo and pigs are another favourite. I'd love to do a whitetail or elk hunt.

I did get a Red Deer, quite a few boar, a fallow deer and a Roe Deer. We also shot pheasant and grouse, not driven, which was great fun.

They got two Black Bear each while they were over hunting with me, in fact one of them got a color phase, real nice honey blond about 7'.

Last time I was in Australia it was summer and really quite hot. I talked to a few guys about hunting but they figured the meat would spoil before you ever got it out of the bush so I passed on it.

Do you ever get over to Canada. Deer hunting is probably cheapest in Texas, low license cost and management deer are nearly free, but Canada isn't bad if you have a local guide.

I got tons of hogs and Javelinas on my place in South Texas if your interested, I'm looking for Mule deer.

I am always open to trading a hunt. I have great turkey and whitetail deer hunting.

I have done this on occasion. In fact today I am meeting 3 guys from Arkansas today at my farm. They are friends of my neighbors 2 of them are hunting my neighbors lease, one is hunting my farm and all 3 are staying in my log cabin. They are whitetail deer hunting with a bow.

In trade I and my son next year are going to their place to hunt black bear. Most hunters are good people.

I have spoke to them several times and swapped emails and text messages, these folks have become friends. Friends that share hunts.

I have porterhouse steaks, baked potatoes and hot buns on the menu tonight for supper.

A few years ago friends of mine from MN came down to turkey hunt and stay at my place. In trade he took my parts and built me a english sporting rifle, and I love that rifle. They are always welcomed at my place with no expectations of a trade.

He and his wife both shot turkeys within 15 min of being in the woods with their flintlocks. They hung out the rest of the week relaxing in the cabin.

In Iowa if I let someone hunt my property for no fee, and they get hurt, I am not liable. That does not mean I can not get sued.

I do care a large umbrella.

Fleener

Back