• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamping a straight barrel by hand?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long time ago I made a fixture that held a bbl
between two points. One had an index. Along both
sides ran a guide with the reversed shape of the
swamp I wanted. A draw file was attached to two
carriages that rode on the side templates. I made
one fixture for rifle barrels and one for pistol
barrels. It worked wonderful...but I will never do it again....The pistol barrels worked much easier even octagon to round swamped..Yes...steel is not fun and takes for ever....buy a swamped barrel.
Wulf

Gus,

I didn't know there4 was a real tool for this job. I thought I sort of invented one as I didn't like the idea of power tools and warping.

Never knew about the huge 2-man files either! I must look all this up!

Thanks for your post.

Richard.

Boy Dave, bet you don't need a gym membership with that much draw filing!
I've never swamped a barrel and sure appreciate the tips and discussion on how it is done.
I have draw filed a bunch of them round and octagon for bluing and browning and that alone is takes me several hour with sanding included.
I have a 4 inch wet belt sander for glass that I use for round barrels with a bearing-ed spinner to remove lathe tool marks but still have to strike them to get all the hills and valleys out after sanding.
I do have a little horizontal mill with a 20 inch travel that would work for swamping between index marks but would need to set up a mill table adapter for 4-5 angle resets and wedge support.
Good thread guys, picking up some good tips and getting some ideas.

stubshaft said:
Half the cost of a new barrel.

Did some checking around. A good 2" belt grinder will run in the neighborhood of $600.00 or more. Not feasible for a one time project, IMHO.
BTW, I have a 1" belt grinder and find it difficult to use for projects like that without making gouges on the sides.

:youcrazy: I was wrong...2 barrels for the grinder to swamp one barrel :youcrazy:

Elnathan said:
CO Elkeater said:
Thanks Dave,
I have a 1 - 66S Rice54 42" straight barrel. About how much weight would be removed?

I'm not Dave, but I think that the answer to that question is going to depend greatly on what diameter the barrel is now and what dimensions you intend to end up with.

I measured at 15/16". Gonna keep it straight. So it goes back in the closet waiting for my retiredment. I was looking at Track's Lemon Trade flint kit. Planning can be fun.

Back