• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped Barrel Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace a swamped barrel with a new one in a full stock rifle? In other words, if you knew the specs of the swamped barrel a gun had been built around, would it be possible to replace it with a new barrel of the same size/weight/dimensions? ....or would the dimensions of the barrel channel be out of whack for the replacement?

I assume it is possible to replace a straight barrel and retain good fit, but let me know if that's not true.
Bob

Bob, who made the barrel you want to replace? Do you know how old it is?

Most barrel makers give specs for the barrels they make . You should be able to find this information on the web and compare it to the one you have.

I have changed out a Rice barrel do to damage and the new one was the same as the old one. This barrel was only 2 years old at the time. I did have to draw file it just a tad to make it fit. My guess is the old barrel had been filed too.

Most new manufactured barrels are very close to the same (give or take a few 0.001”).

Bruce Everhart

Thanks for the response, Bruce.

I don't own anything with a swamped barrel presently. Just wondering if this is a potential drawback. Damage can always occur and I wouldn't want to have to toss an expensive gun due to a bad barrel.

Hearing that you've had success at this indicates that it's a needless worry.
Bob

Bruce is right..
You can also send it off and have a new barrel made to the same specs, but this would take some time.

I think it would be a bigger pain to get the barrel loops or lugs in the same place and the tang to fit into the wood the same. Then you have to drill the tang for screws or bolts exactly the same to hit the trigger plate at the same angle.

Packdog said:
I think it would be a bigger pain to get the barrel loops or lugs in the same place and the tang to fit into the wood the same. Then you have to drill the tang for screws or bolts exactly the same to hit the trigger plate at the same angle.

Been there done that. I built a Lancaster & the barrel was bored offcenter..... Barrel was replaced & the next one was breeched wrong & I didn't know this til I had it in & drilled the vent liner. So had to change it again , boy I was some kind of ****** off !! Third one was OK. I figured 3-4-5 barrels, eventually it will turn out right..... :rotf: :rotf:

The barrel lugs or scraping a barrel channel a tad is not an issue. Getting that tang bent Exactly like the original & tang bolt drilled Exactly the same can be an issue. :shake:

Most......... and I do mean Most of the swamped barrels I have had from the same manufacturer have been the ssame for me. But if you take out a Colerain & put in a Rice, or Getz, you may have some spec changes. They are said to be the same, but they will vary, for a fact........

Once you go with a swamped barrel gun you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. I can’t think of any draw backs to swamped barrels.

Packdog is right about the tang, I used the one out of the old barrel. Had to knock a few 0.001”s off the back of the new barrel to seal the breech and it clocked to the next flat. The tang set right back where came from and I started breathing again.

Under normal use you should never have to replace the barrel anyhow. So I wouldn’t think that should be a concern in decision to buy a swamped barrel.

The one I replaced was damaged by the manufacturer of the kit it was in. It had staked in staple type lugs. They were staked in so good it had dimples in the bore. I dovetailed the lugs. 5 years later it’s still shooting just fine.

Bruce Everhart

I've only tried once. Inlet a stock for a Colerain barrel, then took the barrel and used it for something more pressing. Got another barrel and it is quite a bit different. So much so that I can't fit it into the stock. Wider in some spots, which I could deal with, but narrower in others, which I cant deal with easily.

Now, the barrels are the same, with the same nominal dimensions, but they aren't actually "the same".

Back