• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Svedish knife, fir shur

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noahmercy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a little Swedish knife that was made in the early 1900's. It is in a leather sheath that looks like a fish body and the handle is carved to look like the head. The blade is only 2 1/2" long and overall length is 5 1/4".

I'm thinking of using this as a patch knife as the blade is razor sharp and the size is just right. I know it will be fine for local shoots, but I'm curious if there is any evidence that knives like this made it to the fur fields (thereby making it appropriate for rondy's). The blade shape and lightweight blonde handle resembles a puuko (sp?) from Finland and I know those have been around for centuries. And we have a lot of Swedes and some Finns out here in Wyoming, but most of them moved into this area in the 1850's and later to work as tie hacks.

What's the consensus on knives of this style? Are they PC? I'm not obsessed with PC'ness...I just endeavor to be as close to correct as I can for my own gratification. It certainly won't hurt my feelings if this knife isn't appropriate. I like it for what it is and will enjoy it regardless of its place in history.

:thumbsup:

I'm no expert on PC'ness, but my opinion is that the folks in the mountain west in the 1800's probably included a wide variety in what they wore and carried. They had to be oportunistic and frugal. I doubt there was any typical uniform, and uniqueness was probably appreciated as much in that day as it is today.

What you described is a Mora. Popular in the Neatherlands for several hundred years. I would count on it being PC. It may not be documented but I find it really hard to believe that a sweed heading out to try his hand in the west would leave behind a knife that has such a tie to his country. If ya look into moras they are even given to Girl scouts at a very early age. The kids models have a handguard on them and it is a mark of being responsible to get one without.

So would a Ghurka go into battle without his kukri, never so I guess a Sweed would take his mora west.

By the way the desigh of them with the laminated carbon blade and wood handle has been around a century or more.

The secret also to a mora staying razor sharp is to sharpen with the bevel flat on the stone.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. :winking:

I know from looking at artifacts in the museums out here that not every mountain man, Indian, military unit, and settler used the same gear. The variety is rather awe inspiring, so I have no problem believing a Swede might have brought a little bit of home out into the frontier with him. Most of the trappers carried Green Rivers or comparable knives...they were cheap and good steel for caping and butchering. But something like this little knife would be perfect for cutting twist or plug tobacco or any other chore one would use a pocket knife for.

:thumbsup:

Sharp.jpg

The knife on the bottom is my Helle Polar and the neck sheath I made for it. I've field dressed several deer with that dandy little blade. Can't say the style is "Historically Accurate" for 1790 USA, but how much can you do with a piece of hardwood for a handle and a piece of metal with a single, full tang, drop point edge for the blade?

Back