• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sullivan's Corollary

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

50 caliber
Reaction score
So, I’m thinking that I have tumbled into the rabbit hole of black powder shooting in a full body free-fall! I am now finding myself constantly looking over my shoulder for Murphy and his annoying law that “anything that can go wrong will!” I find myself buying “extra supplies” whenever I run across a “good deal.” I’ve purchased an extra wedge pin, extra patch puller, ball remover, bore swabs and brushes, other cleaning supplies, caps, and anything else (let’s even not talk about the backup Hawken rifle) that I know Murphy is just waiting to get his hands on at the most inconvenient time!

Is this normal? Is this part of the “fever” that the roar of the rifle causes? Is anyone else inflicted with the same anxiety and has resorted to the same depths of the rabbit hole? Now I find myself looking at a melting pot and mold to cast my own balls (should I buy two molds?).

While I am concerned about Murphy and his confounded law, I can prepare for the worst situation to the best of my ability (and wallet) but what really scares me is his cousin’s corollary. For those unfamiliar with his cousin (from his mother’s side), he is a Sullivan; who is a philosopher in his own right. He has an addendum/corollary to Murphy’s law that states, “Murphy was an optimist!” I think I’m going to need a second job!

Pretty much the same for me in what ever black hole that sucks me in at the time. For 30 years it was archery and bowhunting and the last 20 was traditional archery until my shoulder went on a permanent vacation. Ofrtunately (I THINK ANYWAYS) there was traditional style muzzleloaders out there left over from before the archery bug clobbered me. :rolleyes:

The observation that I have observed over many years of testing is the following, "No matter how bad things are now, it can always get worse."

Zackly so.

I remember listening to the advice one of the directing staff on my first exercise in the Black mountains in the Brecon Beacons [South Wales], a firm favourite for certain parts of the British Army to do all kinds of unpleasant things. It rains, it snows, it hails,it sleets it freezes and it bakes and can be windy from just blowy to a tempest - often all withing an hour. People die there - not just civilians, but military, often.

He looked us up and down, looked up at the sky - which was getting darker but the minute, and remarked - 'C'mon lads, cheer up - it could be worse.'

So we cheered up, and sure enough, it got worse.

Latest posts

Back