• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suitable Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO PROBLEM..... but I cant help with the smaller barrel front wood, unless you want a non stock front, and you can pick one out from many places for the uh. Fred :hatsoff: (that action is really made for target rifles the kind with 2"X 36 or more barrels in the 20 to 50 pound class)

I was wondering how the barrel is removed from the action on the H&A factory underhammer? I see from your pictures it is perhaps unscrewed?? Are there any pins or screws to remove? I'd like to give mine a good inspection before taking it out to the range this spring.

I believe the original H&A underhammer had the action pinned to the end of the breech plug with a tapered pin. The newer actions made by Deer Creek, the same kind bluegrouse sells have three small screws that tighten down on to the stud at the end of the breech plug. This system makes it very easy to exchange barrels.
I have one of these actions and it works great. I currently have two different barrels a 45 cal. and a 50 cal. and have swapped then in less then time then it took to type this.
I’m looking to add a .32 cal and maybe a smooth bore (20gauge) barrel to the family.

Underhammers forever !!

Hi GMWW, Here's an engraver located in SW Washington, you might want to give him a try. He did some non-engraving work for me a couple of years ago, nice guy. Pretty sure John Taylor knows him, too. [url] http://www.gunfancy.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
arquebus said:
Hi GMWW, Here's an engraver located in SW Washington, you might want to give him a try. He did some non-engraving work for me a couple of years ago, nice guy. Pretty sure John Taylor knows him, too. [url] http://www.gunfancy.com/[/quote][/url]

Funny you mentioned him. I met him while at John's shop a couple of weeks ago. I told him what I wanted to do with the triggers and hammer. He suggested I find a scultpor.

He does some incredible work and he's an Underhammer fan too. He prefers the Zephers. He is friends with the original owner of Zepher and mentioned how they have been toying with a two Musket nipple design for the very large bore barrels. That's one hammer striking two musket nipples! :shocked2:

Last edited by a moderator:
We sure are keeping John busy :rotf: he's doing 3 barrels for me and I got 2 more to go, as well as maybe makeing a brass 32 or 36 cal uh I'v got everything from 45 to 50,,54,3-62/20s up to 12G. :rotf: I like the idea of 1 trick uh the Zep barrel John got for me is a handfull with full charge and lite weight H+As :shake: Fred :hatsoff:

Thank you for helping out with their address; while I'm here, who & where are "Deer Creek" also are there any other companies who are able to help out with UH rifles. I was thinking of trying to buy a ready made UH, but most firearms are never quite what you want or have the right fit. So I'm looking at building a 14g shotgun on a target action and then eventually add a round ball barrel, followed by a conical barrel. Any way thank you for the time and effort you have given me.

The only UH action I'm familiar with that would fit your bill would be the action from Muzzleloader building supply. Like I've mentioned before if you've got a machine shop or someone who can do some work for you that would be the way to go.

The work that would need to be done. You will need to drill the pin holes for the trigger and hammer. You'll need to drill the screw holes for the trigger guard and screws to mount your butt stock. You'll also need to drill holes for the set screws to hold the barrel in place. The hole for the barrel needs to be checked and made perfectly round for the breach plug. A stock will need to be inletted for the actions tang. The most important part is the trigger guard. It is soft steel and needs to be made into a spring.

I know I'm sounding like a salesman for John Taylor but he does great work and I've posted action photos of him working on projects for me.
He has someone who makes barrels and had a couple made for me. One was a .45 cal. fast twist and the other a .54 cal. fast twist.

Here is a link to John's frame that he was able to build using spare parts from Fred (FW)
John's thread on making an UH frame.

Hi Clayman49.
Try this local ph # 092947003. I know that he can help with your small problem. Bitehard

The Jacob is made in USA and is a Kendel type, you'll pay 1,000 but ive seen it and it is a GRAND rifle. GMWW do youhave the site? Fred :hatsoff:

OLD JAKE PRODUCTS and
JACOB UNDERHAMMER
140 CHURCH STREET
PAWLET, VERMONT 05761
(802) 325-3200
[email protected]

Thank you for your interest in Jacob Underhammer. We apologize for the delay in production of the gun with it's new refinements. Unfortunately, Bart Jacob passed away at his South Texas winter home the 1st of January, 2006. Bart was the founder of Old Jake Products and my partner in the Jacob Underhammer gun. It has been a year since his unexpected passing and I am just now returning to work on the underhammer project. In fact, I should have the first two new guns completed by mid-summer, 2007. At that time, I will immediately start taking orders for the gun. The refinements being made are strictly internal and will not change the overall appearance. The Jacob Underhammer does not use an exposed trigger guard main spring. Instead, we use a refined lock of our own design completely contained in a three sided housing concealed within the wrist of the stock. Unlike most traditional designs that incorporate a side or back-action lock, there are no parts available for the geometry of an underhammer design (i.e., hammer, sear, tumbler, main spring, trigger, sear spring, etc.) Previously, these parts were completely handmade by us. The lock was nearly 50% of the production time of the gun. In addition, it was foreseeable that replacing a lock part when necessary would be difficult. At this time the lock housing and breach plug are designed to accommodate barrels that are 1" across the flats. In the future, we will produce heavier barreled guns.

These guns are completely custom and are built individually per order. Choices of options are many: barrel length, cal./ga. (up to .69 [14 ga.]), rate of twist or smoothbore, stock dimensions, sights. Because of the gun design, multi-barrel sets are available. Accurate pricing of a gun can only be determined after discussion of options, number of barrels and accessories. A single barrel gun built to your specs will run approximately $1,100 to $1,200.

Please click onto the photos attached and you will see a perfect example of the phrase "lock, stock and barrel". This gun is an incredible joy to carry, but even more of a joy to shoot. Although light in weight the Jacob Underhammer is a very accurate offhand shooting gun. This is primarily due to the extremely fast ignition and perfect balance of the gun.

Again, thank you for your interest in Jacob Underhammer. We will keep you on our list and periodically update you on the progress of the gun. Or please feel free to call if you have more questions or to place your name on a priority list.

Thank you,

Lars Jacob

Note: Just days before Bart Jacob passed away, he killed a beautiful eight-point with his Number 11 Jacob Underhammer .50 cal FRED :hatsoff:

Took a simple idea, complicated it, and cries about the trouble with the lock. :surrender: Never mess with an elegant design. :youcrazy:

Very true, the org they made was like silk it was so smooth. BUT as I pointed out a few months ago WHY get this or a ZEP for 1,200 to 1,700 when at the time a org Kendel or Hillard was on a auction with target sights ect and looked near new for 1,100. I'd take the real thing any day! :shake: Fred :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back