• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Substitute for lead in bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myself and a couple of friends used to shoot antique shotguns at a sporting clays range that also had a game farm on the premises. One year they told us that the state of Illinois had made shooting lead all but impossible to deal with and everyone would be required to use steel shot on the sporting clays range.

That was the end of shooting sporting clays for me as no steel will go down those barrels.

Personally, I look at firing RB's in to a berm or hillside just returning the lead from the earth it was mined from.

The wildlife agencies won’t have any qualms about confiscating your muzzleloader and sending it to a state lab to be unloaded by them to check for lead….the new crop of agents I’ve talked to seem to be kind of anti hunting….strange.

Those boys need to remember who butters their bread! As mentioned, lead comes outta the ground. We are just trying to put it back!

Reading the comments above, I can understand some of the vitriol. But lead is an extremely toxic metal. Worked amazing as a binder in paint but poisoned kids so I’m glad it’s gone. Stopped pinging in car engines but again was poisoning us all. I remember when they made lead illegal for waterfowl. I had amazing success with copper coated buffered shot from Federal, it really reached out there but also poisoned the waterfowl. Technology always finds a new way, a new material or some fix. So I have a more open minded approach to it. If outlawed, I’ll miss my Remington Corelokt, but I’ll find a replacement. Hell there are a ton out there now. That said, I would hope for exceptions for traditional arms.

The problem is ( in my misinformed opinion) the people that would be doing the research for a lead free shot and bullet substitute are anti gun, or get their funding from anti gun organizations. People who want to squash the shooting and hunting sports.

Looked up the lead free option on Rotometals. Interesting, may have to try that. It is a bit expensive at $14.99 per pound.
If Oregon ever goes "no lead", I'll still be shooting lead in my ML's. A LEO would need probable cause to believe I had committed a crime to take my gun to check what's down the barrel. No warrant, no probable cause and certainly there will be no consent to search given. Without one of these things, they are SOL.

Looked up the lead free option on Rotometals. Interesting, may have to try that. It is a bit expensive at $14.99 per pound.
If Oregon ever goes "no lead", I'll still be shooting lead in my ML's. A LEO would need probable cause to believe I had committed a crime to take my gun to check what's down the barrel. No warrant, no probable cause and certainly there will be no consent to search given. Without one of these things, they are SOL.
DCAN, read the fine print on your hunting license. i would almost bet you sign an agreement waiving the probable cause and agree to a full body cavity search at a F&G officers whim. only wildlife legal problem i ever had was in 1973 up by Mill City.

DCAN, read the fine print on your hunting license. i would almost bet you sign an agreement waiving the probable cause and agree to a full body cavity search at a F&G officers whim. only wildlife legal problem i ever had was in 1973 up by Mill City.
I did that job for many years and still recall how the laws work. They can inspect the equipment in the field, up to a point, if they can articulate a justifiable reason. Physically taking something from someone is a whole different thing. I would be polite but firm in my responses to any enforcement related questions. People get involved in "chit chat" thinking they are talking to a buddy. People dig their own holes by doing that.

Latest posts

Back