• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Substitute for lead in bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the government/states banning lead in more and more areas what could we use to substitute for lead in our smoke poles?

Our round ball guns tend to use a very slow rifling twist. That tends to be fine for round balls but not so good for longer conical types of bullets.

Do we use something like sabots with copper or tungsten bullets?

Rotometals Lead Free bullet casting alloy, a good short starter, and linen patches. The metal casts a few percent large because it swells as it cools rather than shrinks.

Or you can see how far your bravado goes with the F&G officer, up to you. I'm just offering a the solution you asked for as I helped refine the alloy formula and did extensive testing for Rotometals.

Rotometals Lead Free bullet casting alloy, a good short starter, and linen patches. The metal casts a few percent large because it swells as it cools rather than shrinks.

Or you can see how far your bravado goes with the F&G officer, up to you. I'm just offering a the solution you asked for as I helped refine the alloy formula and did extensive testing for Rotometals.
can one substitute Silk for the linen IanH?:dunno:

forgive me, i just watched LOTMohicans.:D

With the government/states banning lead in more and more areas what could we use to substitute for lead in our smoke poles?

Our round ball guns tend to use a very slow rifling twist. That tends to be fine for round balls but not so good for longer conical types of bullets.

Do we use something like sabots with copper or tungsten bullets?
How will the government/states know what you have in your chamber?

Replacing the current government would solve it. I'll always be shooting lead, I don't care how many rules they make to eliminate gun ownership.
^^^This is the correct answer.^^^

Instead of people trying to do a triple gainer with half twist back flip while trying to figure out how they're going to please the gun grabbing trash.

Last edited:
How will the government/states know what you have in your chamber?

They actually have park rangers in the field. They setup checkpoints and check deer tags, hunting licenses etc. I remember having been checked out a a checkpoint many years ago. I also got checked out after bagging a deer too. The rangers popped up out of nowhere on me. Thus adding in a check on what bullets you are using would not be a problem.

They actually have park rangers in the field. They setup checkpoints and check deer tags, hunting licenses etc. I remember having been checked out a a checkpoint many years ago. I also got checked out after bagging a deer too. The rangers popped up out of nowhere on me. Thus adding in a check on what bullets you are using would not be a problem.
Put the government/state approved lead-free balls in the bag the park ranger is going to check.

Meanwhile.........

ok
impalla eating popcorn.gif

I hunted deer for decades that I shot with lead balls & bullets and kept the freezer full and we ate it regularly. I recently was tested for all heavy metals and none, ZERO, so what's the problem with lead? Our ancestors fired more lead than we will for a long time and nothing occurred because of it.

I can no longer get out to hunt so I no longer do so. But I'll still shoot lead at the range no matter what.

Banning lead isn't about saving the planet.

It's about the never-ending screwing over of firearm/muzzleloader enthusiasts and hunters.

That's why it infuriates me when so-called Gun Guys and so-called 2nd Amendment Supporters are so eager to look for lead alternatives instead of everyone massing together with one voice to save the sport of muzzleloading using REAL LEAD BALLS.

I hunted deer for decades that I shot with lead balls & bullets and kept the freezer full and we ate it regularly. I recently was tested for all heavy metals and none, ZERO, so what's the problem with lead? Our ancestors fired more lead than we will for a long time and nothing occurred because of it.

I can no longer get out to hunt so I no longer do so. But I'll still shoot lead at the range no matter what.

I'm sorry to hear that hanshi! The hunting part, not the lead part.

I wish the EPA would do an honest assessment of the relative hazard of lead projectiles in sporting arms. I believe a reasonably accurate estimate would show projectile lead to be a tiny fraction of the total man-made lead strewn about the environment. It is reasonable to restrict or eliminate a significant chemical hazard, but our entrenched bureaucracy self-justifies its existence by finding trivial hazards and building a regulatory empire. Yesterday's Wall Street Journal ran a piece on the use of lead sheathing for telecommunications cables. This stuff is hanging everywhere and is buried in massive quantities. WSJ found high lead concentrations in soil immediately adjacent to some of these cables, so I suppose there is a conjectural hazard of unknown magnitude. There is an undeniable hazard from lead paint in domestic applications and tetraethyl lead in automotive gasoline used before its ban in 1974. If we can't get a handle on the risk/benefit ratio of these hazards we will be huddled in caves afraid to start a fire to keep warm.

I don't understand the statements here, and on a similar current thread (also many others in the past) that replacing the dopes in office is the answer,,,, especially don't understand it being the "easier" answer.
We haven't had any luck/success getting rid if the sewer creatures yet. Not only are they winning reelection (dumbest phrase in politics is, "we'll remember in November,,,,, no,,, doesn't happen) but even when we elect someone of right mind, they are quickly corrupted.

Just enjoy your lead and your shooting sports while you can. All good things come to an end, "castles made of sand, drift, into the sea,,, eventually."

Back