• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran out of Kano Kroil so I mixed up some acetone and ATF....to remove some old rust bolts on an old Farmall and a Ferguson plow.
So far it has removed every rusted bolt I've put it on....

hawkeye2, if I get you right, the dowels have to fit really snugly into the chambers, no? And these dowels are glued perpendicularly to the piece of wood?

The dowels should be as large as possible but they don't have to be a snug fit.

Actually, it is better to use metal pins/rods/bolts/screws that fit the chambers.

They won't shear off when you apply the torque.
I've seen wooden dowels shear off at the chamber mouth.

If you have a vise, bolted to a bench, you can clamp on the 2 screws/rods (etc.) in the chambers without using a wooden block.

Just insert them into the chambers and clamp the exposed portion in the vise.

I used a variation of your method with my drill press after trying several other methods. I soaked the cylinder in a combination of PB blaster and transmission fluid for a long period of time. I made a nipple wrench from a 3/16 inch quarter inch drive socket with a small cutting wheel in a dremel. I was able to remove three of the nipples with a 1/4 inch ratchet wrench, but three were completely unwilling to move.

I then took a section of an old ramrod that was previously broken. I think it is 7/16th. I used two short sections, clamped them in my drill press vise to hold the cylinder and then the previously made nipple wrench attached to a 1/4 in. driver in the drill chuck. With this I was able to remove the nipples easily while holding the socket tightly down with the drill press and turning the press by hand at the chuck. All three came out without much trouble.

I think I will replace all 6 nipples with new ones even though they provided good ignition previously.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

I know this thread has gone a little stale but would like to point out my method as no one else has.
Fabricate a wrench from a 1/4 drive socket. Use an adapter to get it on your impact drill/driver, hold cylinder by your preferred method (securely) and out they come. I use a dirt cheap 12v impact driver.

Doesn't require impact driver, sledgehammer, torque wrench, etc... Rosebud tip on acetylene torch and "Ted Cash"-style nipple wrench (whether bought or made, no difference). A little 'warming' from rosebud on face of cylinder (enough to make cyl. expand -) all it'll take!

Back