• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remove all 6 nipples on my Pietta Colt. I remove the wedge. and barrel, pull the cylinder. Remove the nipples, then put the barrel and cylinder into the ultrasonic cleaner. Scrub each nipple with a brush to remove all of the external fouling. When all parts are clean and dry, I put a dab of Anti seize grease on the threads before reinstalling them into the cylinder.
Yes that's what I do but I do not use a ultrasonic cleaner. I soak the nipples in Ballistol/water solution then scrub them with a weapon brush, while they are soaking I clean the cylinder. But that wasn't what my post was about. But thanks for your input.

I have always taken out nipples for cleaning because I can visually check each flash hole for obstruction easier. Doing this saves me from "snapping caps" next shooting session to clear them. The last few years I have enjoyed making paper cartridges and there is always some paper residue after firing, especially in the bottom of each chamber next to the nipples. I don't mind spending the extra time cleaning/inspecting each nipple if it means trouble free shooting next time out.

I always remove the nipples (cones as some call em) when cleaning. Do so after shooting unless as some have advised I plan on shooting the next day or two. If I do plan on a next day or two shoot, the cylinder gets sprayed with a little WD40, clean before shooting. If ya don't remove the nipples, the nipple recesses on the back of the cylinder get layered with a crusty residue that is a bearcat to remove with the nipples installed. PITA at times with nipples removed-alot of brushing. Nipple removal I hate, but necessary. Like trimming brass before reloading, despise doing it, but needed at times. Scrub the nipple recess, nipples, twirl pipe cleaners in the nipple hole and q-tips in the interior of each chamber. Always put a dab of anti-seize on each thread.

One time I had the brilliant idea to clean my percussion cylinders after a shoot leaving the nipples on. Soaked the three cylinders in a 2 gallon bucket of fairly warm water. Can't recall if I added dish detergent or Ballistol to the water. Anyway put a pressure tank wand on the hose, picked up a cylinder, held it under the solution, and placed the wand end into each chamber and also the external nipple area and blasted away. Was an excellent blaster of residue and crud. Cleaned very well, BUT-was messy, very messy. The air pressure shot water/suds all over me and surrounding area. I did it on grass as I thought it might shoot solution some, but not to the extent it did. Should had on my yellow slicker. I did turn the pressure tank down after the first cylinder as it was set around 100 psi but the other two were still messy. Only one go-around doing that. Took nipples out anyway as water can creep into the threads I assumed, reoiled each cylinder, added anti-seize. Good cleaning method but went back to original method.

I have had up to five cappers broke down once for cleaning, but they all had their own area to lay so as not to get parts interchanged. Usually keep it at no more than two. Love FF/FFF revolver shooting, but the cleaning is a pain, but needed. Saw a '58 Remington once that was left to lay for a period of time by a guy who liked to shoot but not clean. He gave it to me for TLC, later years after he quit shooting it was real nasty. FWIW I never do a complete revolver breakdown every time I shoot, couple times a year for the receiver parts. Then sometimes I just squirt gun cleaner into the receiver when the grip and trigger guard are removed, then blast it with air. Gets em clean, relube and reassemble. At times I take a needle oiler as long as the action is working (rarely get any cap frags, a tight fit between cap and nipple works wonders) and squirt a little pure Ballistol into the action. The Ballistol does its job of keeping things lubed and any fouling soft. How they did it back in the 'Ol days, not really concerned, do it as I see fit for corrosion free metal, long firearm life, and smooth operation.

No need to remove
Ya that's true unless ya want the nipple recess metal to have issues under all of that crusty residue that builds up and/or possible problems someday with the threads of the cylinder having issues. I'll put up with the hassle of removal, cleaning, and reinstall and have the security that I've done everything possible to prevent any corrosion. To each his own is the rule of gun maintenance. Over the years I've seen those who forgo cleaning of any sort and those who do a minimum just to get by. Their firearms after a while tell the story, sadly some of em don't care.

Recently sent two friends to the gunsmith; they never remove nipples and have been having firing issues.
I broke down what I could for them but one had three nipples that would not budge the other I could not remove any - btw now I need a new wrench...
As I am not a gunsmith I am not going to do anything more then soak in oil overnight and try again - after that they have to take to a gunsmith and pay the price.

Had the same with one of their rifles (Percussion).

Myself; I always remove nipples (and vent liners) do a full Cleaning, to include threads and any hard to get at areas, then grease and - Properly - replace and Don't over tighten.
Never had a problem, never buggered up the threads.

But then; for about 35 years I removed and replaced Billions of machine screws (maybe trillions) and I Hate with a passion those who over tighten or strip threads then I have to fix their screw up (not referring to firearms)

I normally remove the nipples after shooting and clean them out of the cylinder. All the nipples have been replaced with SlixShot in all my pistols. Well last time out when I went to re-install the nipples one wouldn't start on my Pietta 1858 New Army. All the Colt replicas were fine. I bought a 6x.75 tap and retaped the threads and installed the nipple.

So my questions is does anyone clean their pistols without removing the nipples and how does that work for you. To be honest still plan to remove the nipples on the Colts but I can’t see doing that on the Remington.

Well yes and no. If the gun will be used again soon the nipples are left in but each is only given a half turn to check tightness then no.

If the gun is going back in the rack for storage then yes. A never size compound is always used on installation.
Respectfully
Bunk
pietta and Uberta

Thanks Bunk!!
Oncewas, First off, you say you "fixed" the problem with the Remington cyl but you're not going to remove them again . . . Ok.

As far as cleaning, I always did when I shot bp. I always put anti-seize on the nipples and for those that don't clean them each time, I would at least remove them initially, clean them and put them back with anti-seize.

For the record, I ALWAYS work on 2 at a time !!!! 🤣

Mike
yes but you are an experienced gun plumber. A smart one that knows what you are doing...usually.
.Gonna drag out one of the never fail Armies more to follow.
Stay safe
Bunk

Normal cleaning each cone gets a half turn and is seated.
If it is going back into the rack they are removed and cleaned when replaced each gets a smear of never size compound
Having to send a cylinder to Lodge Wood Mfg. to have them drilled out and new threads cut is expensive and time consuming.
I keep my firing cones just finger tight and never had a problem.
I shoot at least three times a week the Sharps carbine is for tomorrow.
stay safe
Bunk

It’s overkill to remove for routine cleaning
"routine cleaning" as opposed to...?

I routinely clean after every shoot.
I know some don't, some just fill the barrel with water, dump it out, run dry patches until they are dry and...appear 'clean'. After a couple years it gives them trouble, they bring it to me and I end up spending an hour cleaning and dozens of patches, then tell them "Sorry but this nipple(s) is buggered up and won't come out...I can recommend a gunsmith or you can continue struggling with it until it won't fire at all."

Btw: 'those people' are usually renenactors....don't own any cleaning fluids, oils, and have never heard of Moose Milk or a Nipple Wrench.
(I had one who even had a Spare nipple in his patch box but no idea what it was....been reenacting for about ten years, that was his third rifle...I didn't bother asking what happened to the other two)

If it comes out (by design) it gets thourghly cleaned EVERY time. Thats why they are removable, so you can remove them. If ya dont remove them then soon you CANT remove them Then they are no longer functioning as designed. I clean my nipples AND the clean out screw on my rifles, oh my. Thats just me, others are wrong at alot of stuff and get by???

Back