• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripping Jax Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Jax Black finish I used on my SMR barrel isn't holding up as well as I'd like and I'm thinking of stripping it and redoing the barrel with one or another rust browning process. Should I strip the Jax Black with a typical debluing process or is there some other process that works best with this type of finish? Thanks....

The Jax Black finish I used on my SMR barrel isn't holding up as well as I'd like and I'm thinking of stripping it and redoing the barrel with one or another rust browning process. Should I strip the Jax Black with a typical debluing process or is there some other process that works best with this type of finish? Thanks....
Although I've never dealt with those darkening products, A can of automotive brake parts cleaner will probably blast that stuff off. I use it to clean and degrease my steel parts prior to browning. If that don't work, the thick blue "Sno-bowl" toilet bowl cleaner will. That stuff will remove bluing and browning from steel parts.
I suggest using both in a well ventillated area or outside and use gloves.

Latest posts

Back