• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

STORING POWDER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproulman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i never bought more than a lb of powder but do to prices, i was thinking of getting 10lb of 3f geox for price around 16.25 delivered.

i never stored that much powder.

i guess you would leave it in the original container.

where in your home would you store it.

thanks SPROULMAN

Yes, leave it in it's original containers.

I keep mine in a wood ammo box in a closet with the lid locked and an explosives sticker on the outside.

You may want to check your states regulations. Some states allow different amounts of powder storage than others. I think the federal limit is 25 pounds.

HD

Fed limit is 50# but some states/localities may be different.

Store in original containers. Maybe I'm less spooked (or more naive) by BP than some as I view it to be less dangerous, under normal conditions, than a gas can or the mower/car/chainsaw in the garage. That said, I do store it in an area of the garage away from any electrical outlets or other potential spark/heat/fire source. Heck, they ship it in a cardboard box, albeit a heavy duty one . . .

It's pretty safe to store anywhere that's away from a source of ignition or extreme heat. I store a few cans in the garage and the rest in the storage shed. The shed gets plenty hot here in the summer, but has never caused the powder to break down or cause any kind of problems.

Those "old metal" powder cans fit just great in a .50 metal military ammo can. It has a waterproof seal and quite a hefty latch mechanisim to keep small hands out. Stores about 6 1# cans.

When you seal it in a ammo can, it sounds great but you just made a bomb. Add a fire & when that sucker goes off you best be well over 100 yards away !
If you don't want to buy or make a proper magazine, the best thing I know to store them in is a ol aluminum or plastic lined metal cooler. Put a latch on it with a lock on each side of it. If that gets excessive heat it will easily melt or leak any pressures & the powder will burn rather than explode.

And kept in the dry of course.....

I keep mine in a locked outbuilding in a magazine. 50# is the federal limits. Some local codes vary. I am told NC is very strict on their storage of BP.

:thumbsup:

50lb Federal limit, no state over-ride in North Carolina.

I keep up to 50lbs in the original cardboard shipping cartons on the floor of a closet in the house...if Goex can ship me 25 cans over several hundred miles loaded and unloaded off trucks and warehouses and left sitting on my front porch in the afternoon July sun in nothing but that cardboard carton...storing in on the floor of a closet is a much improved environment compared to all that.

There are no 'special' storage requirements for tightly sealed cans of BP...just the standard stuff like keeping it away from open flames and store in a cool dry place, etc, etc...the standard disclaimers that are on the label of practically everything...

The safest place to keep it is in an old freezer or stand up refrigerator with a padlock. I don't have that kind of room in my basement so I use a 20MM ammo can.

Many Klatch

I thought there was a big stink a couple years ago about 1# limits & etc. Or did that all blow over ?

There's no 1# limit. Got a case from Jacks in April of '08 and will be getting another case next month. My case just sits in the corner of my man room. Black powder should not be stored in things like military ammo cans that increase its explosive force in event of fire.

0012.jpg

Birddog6 said:
I thought there was a big stink a couple years ago about 1# limits & etc. Or did that all blow over ?
Never heard anything about that Keith...maybe some other state?

i paid delivered from graf/sons today 16.90 for 10 pds of geox 3f.

powder inc is 16.25 delivered.

hazmat went to 22.50 at grafs /sons

Semisane said:
There's no 1# limit. Got a case from Jacks in April of '08 and will be getting another case next month. My case just sits in the corner of my man room. Black powder should not be stored in things like military ammo cans that increase its explosive force in event of fire.

0012.jpg
I wish I got mine in cans years ago. I need some cans, I hate the big plastic bag.

Latest posts

Back