• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing black powder in a shed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onojutta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have several pounds of black powder in storage in my basement workshop. After a paper towel caught fire recently while doing some soldering at my work bench, I had an epiphany that maybe I should find somewhere else to store the powder. I don’t have room for it anywhere else in the house, so my question is:

Would storing BP long term in a shed (no climate control) be suitable if I placed each container in a vacuum sealed bag, the kind that are used for food?

I live in PA where temperatures in the shed get below freezing in the winter and 90s in the summer, but the vacuum sealed bags should at least protect against humidity. Thoughts?

Back Creek Gun Shop where I get my powder keeps it stored in an outdoor bunker in a field. You place your order and the guy drives out to the storage bunker and gets it. He supplies the NSSA so that's a lot of powder. I keep mine in a detached garage in a wooden box.

I have several pounds of black powder in storage in my basement workshop. After a paper towel caught fire recently while doing some soldering at my work bench, I had an epiphany that maybe I should find somewhere else to store the powder. I don’t have room for it anywhere else in the house, so my question is:

Would storing BP long term in a shed (no climate control) be suitable if I placed each container in a vacuum sealed bag, the kind that are used for food?

I live in PA where temperatures in the shed get below freezing in the winter and 90s in the summer, but the vacuum sealed bags should at least protect against humidity. Thoughts?
Acquire or fabricate a wooden chest or box with all sides at least an inch thick for your powder and keep in on your basement floor. If you have a fire hot enough to burn through the inch or more of wood while it’s on your basement floor and ignite the powder while you or anyone else is still in the house it will not matter. What are your plans for flammable paper items such as paper towels? Possibly a bigger concern.

Acquire or fabricate a wooden chest or box with all sides at least an inch thick for your powder and keep in on your basement floor. If you have a fire hot enough to burn through the inch or more of wood while it’s on your basement floor and ignite the powder while you or anyone else is still in the house it will not matter. What are your plans for flammable paper items such as paper towels? Possibly a bigger concern.
As a matter of fact, that’s just how I store it in a wood crate. But it’s also taking up storage space which is a premium in my small house so fire concerns aside, I’d still like to know if the powder can withstand long term storage in the shed without degradation where temperature will vary widely. And to that end, wound the vacuum sealing be necessary?

This is what I did also, although I may have over done it ( something I tend to do) . I made a chest from 1 1/2" thick wood lined with 1/2" fireproof drywall, then lined with sheet metal on all sides. The lid has a lip around it and sits on top so it just lifts off. no hinges or latches. IF and really big IF, fire get through, the "whoosh" of the igniting powder would blow the lid off and "vent" the burning powder as opposed to blowing up from compression of a sealed box.

It sits on the floor in the corner of my den, which is the furthest point from any flame source, (kitchen, furnace, etc.)

As a matter of fact, that’s just how I store it in a wood crate. But it’s also taking up storage space which is a premium in my small house so fire concerns aside, I’d still like to know if the powder can withstand long term storage in the shed without degradation where temperature will vary widely. And to that end, wound the vacuum sealing be necessary?
I would think a tightly capped can of powder would be air tight.

I am more concerned about the durability of powder containers, be they old metal or newer plastic ones. The environment the containers are stored in likely has an impact on their shelf life. Recently had a gallon container of metal prep (acid) spontaneously fail while sitting under a work bench in the basement, a very mild environment. Maybe 65° to 75° temperature swing annually. Unbelievable how the liquid ‘etched’ concrete floor. Luckily caught it ‘early’. No word back yet from the manufacturer for their opinion on the quality or durability of their containers. I’m pretty confident it will somehow be my fault in their opinion.
1715919342049.jpeg

Back Creek Gun Shop where I get my powder keeps it stored in an outdoor bunker in a field. You place your order and the guy drives out to the storage bunker and gets it. He supplies the NSSA so that's a lot of powder. I keep mine in a detached garage in a wooden box.
The hardware where I buy keeps it in what looks like a brick outhouse. I believe we are looking at insurance company requirements.

There is a door in the corner of my basement that opens to five steps leading down to a 1950's fallout shelter beneath my lawn. I keep my black powder there.

Last edited:
Anyplace as long as it's away from a open heat source.
When I lived in New Yorkistan.
I kept mine in the garage in a box along with shot and round ball.
People always worry about their powder. But yet they have no problem storing propane tanks in their basement & garage. Along with gasoline tanks, three or four pieces of gasoline powered equipment.

Back