• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock forend warp.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received my Chambers left handed Isaac Haines kit last week. It's a 45 cal with a B weight Rice barrel which I received several weeks ago. Unpacked the kit Friday and noticed that the stock has a warp to the right out on the muzzle end of the forend. The woods a bit thicker on the right side of the forend as well which I am sure will be evened out when finished. Went and got the barrel and set it into the barrel channel at the breech end and then gently worked barrel down into the barrel channel all the way to the end of the stock forend. Wrapped some rubber bands around the barrel stock assembly. Hope this was the correct thing to do and that this will straighten the stock. Should I be concerned about this warp or is this somewhat normal? Should I be concerned about this being a problem in the future? First kit build so will probably have lots of questions as I proceeded with the work. Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about it.

Not only is it "somewhat normal", it is very normal. It's a long thin piece of wood, it's gonna warp.

I think you did the right thing. this problem will probably resolve itself over time. As you go forward with your build, try to keep the barrel in the channel as much as possible.

good luck with your project!

Seeing the lock inlet is already in, locate the TH and then inlet the bbl. Next step is to drill the bbl lug holes, which will keep the forend straight.

On one "kit" I rec'd, the forend was not only warped but the inlet was oversized. Put the bbl in and tightly wrapped the bbl/stock w/ surgical tubing....a couple weeks later, problem was solved.....Fred

A common misconception exists.

The BARREL supports the FOREARM not the other way around.

Since we hold/support the forearm with our hand we tend to "think" of it as "structural member". It's not, the barrel is far tougher and the warp in the stock will NOT warp the barrel.

Over time as the wood "settles down" the barrel, being the tough piece, will convince the wood to follow it's profile, not the other way around.

On my very first build my stock was the same way right at the end though the barrel inlet was so far off the barrel would not fit in to begin with. I had a lot of work to inlet the swamped barrel (this was a ToTW kit)and then kept the barrel in the stock as much as possible. The forend had zero shaping...it was square. As I got into shaping the forend and removing lots of wood, this seemed to relieve the stresses and it straightened out and has never been an issue.

Latest posts

Back