• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock design

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I find the southern mountain or Tennessee stock shape visually appealing. However, some seem to have the capability to double as a pitchfork, particularly the Soddy style. I assume they were shot in a Schutzen style with the butt on the upper arm. Is that how many of you use them?

Yes, curved butt plates are made to fit in the crook of your upper bicep with your arm at a 90 degree angle to your torso.

I shoot a crescent butt from my arm, to shoot from the chest is very painful. An AR may be shot most any ways but this sport requires you to shoot as the rifle was intended.

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should have asked who uses these and if they feel it is an advantage. Do you use them in the sitting position also?
I do think they are beautiful.
i did have an 1886 with a crescent butt but I merely put a slip on recoil pad which gave me a much needed extra 2” of LOP. It was however ugly.

Ohio and Vincent rifles are the same way. It's either shoot them off the upper arm or skewer yourself.
I also found the Tennessee profile appealing. I have a petite .36 and have enjoyed carrying and shooting it. Last year I decided to build a another in that style with interchangeable barrels in .40 and .50. The .40 is an absolute delight, however if I'm not cautious in mounting the .50, loaded with a stiff hunting charge, it can be downright painful due to the sharp points on the butt.

I personally prefer them to a more traditional flatter plate. But I don't have them on any really hard kicking guns either. (My Vincent is a 45.) With the deep crescent, I know the gun will stay mounted to my shoulder / bicep, and it will go in the same place every time. That's what allows extremely forward heavy guns, which are more stable in standing position. Most all of my shooting with ML'ers is at paper anyway. It's why butt hooks are put on small bore target guns. They're a little slower to mount than a shotgun butt, but rifles are deliberately aimed rather than quickly pointed and shot the way that shotguns are.

Back