• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still a wallhanger/fencepost

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20230715_154616013_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230715_154517413_HDR.jpg

The two locks I bought were misrepresented by the eBay seller.
They were listed as a mis-matched pair (that part's correct), but we're supposed to be one LH, and one RH. Obviously I received two RH locks. One, on top in the first pic, would actually work and the trigger would make it fire if I trim the plate on the front end and add a cock/hammer. The lock and plate is a little smaller than the hole in the stock but I was prepared to make a new plate of all else worked out.
I haven't yet figured out how to use RH parts to build a LH lock, but welcome any suggestions. I need to trade a RH for a LH. I know my local Muzzleloader shop has some old locks so Monday when they're open again I'll go see if I can make a trade. Unless you're working on a SxS gun there should be more demand for RH locks I believe?

Flea-Bay sellers ripping people off.

Whodathunkit.

I bought a brand new in the wrapper chrome oil tank for an '89 Sportster off of Flea-Bay.

What I received was an oil tank that looked like it was rolled in salt and set outside in the S.C. Low Country for ten years to rust.

My one and only Flea-Bay purchase.

Ebay can be frustrating when dealing with sellers who don't know what they have. Sometimes the buyer gets a bargain, sometimes they get the shaft. I take chances sometimes if the cost isn't too much. Something to do.

I have some old back action locks for some unknown SXS shotguns tucked away somewhere. I will see if I can dig them up and post some pictures here. Give me a few days as I am very busy with other things at the moment.

I've got these 2, a left and a right matched pair. In pretty rough shape but possibly some usable parts. Free, just pay shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_20230716_132828.jpg
    IMG_20230716_132828.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230716_132818.jpg
    IMG_20230716_132818.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Yes, at present new locks like you recommend are not in the budget. If that was my only option the gun would have to remain a wallhanger. Maybe, eventually, but probably not under the current admistration, I can better afford to restore the gun. If I decide to. Thanks.

Now I'm kinda wishing I had looked for flintlock locks and converted my shotgun. Oh well, if I ever get it shooting as a percussion I'll be happy.

Very unlikely to find a flintlock back action that will fit the mortise and somehow still have a pan and frizzen. Of those made, some Belgian guns made for African export had a back action flint, and my understanding is they were of poor quality.

Latest posts

Back