• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Standard Deviation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Because this subject relates to shooting, hunting and common knowledge, I figured I would put it here.

As we know, uniformity or consistency is very important as we work up loads and this subject deals with that subject, so at the risk of being tarred and feathered here it comes:

STANDARD DEVIATION

Almost all of the people who are interested in shooting sooner or later will come across the words “Standard Deviation”. A few of them will know what it is but, most folks just see some numbers and don’t know what to do with them or what they mean.

At the risk of boring many, I thought I would try to give these people an idea of what Standard Deviation really means. To do this, we have to understand why we even need or want to have such a thing.

First I’ll just say Standard Deviation has to do with situations where we are measuring several examples of something. For instance maybe we want to find out what sort of velocity a certain ball/powder/patch load will have so we set up our chronograph and fire 5 shots thru it. Not surprisingly, it will give us 5 different velocities. These velocities may be real close to each other or they may be quite different.
If we add up the 5 velocities and then divide by 5 we can come up with some “average velocity”.
While this gives us a useful value if all of the shots have a velocity that is fairly close to each other it doesn’t tell the whole story if the velocities of each shot is quite a bit different.

Saying this with a few numbers may show what I mean.
Lets say a given load gives the following velocity for 5 shots: 1500, 1510, 1495, 1505, 1490. Adding these up and dividing by 5 gives us the average 1500. The maximum and minimum variation from the average is 10.

Now lets say we are using a poor powder and run the same test and we come up with the following velocity for 5 shots: 1250, 1495, 1600, 1627, 1527. If we add these up and divide by 5 we come up with an average of 1499.8 which is pretty close to the first groups average. We notice that the maximum variation from the average is about -250 but this only happened once so it is not representative of what we can typically expect from the load.

This leaves us wondering what are the chances of this error happening again? What is a reasonable number to think about for a high and a low velocity?

While folks could come up with a probability number for any velocity error you might want to think about, the Mathematicians decided it would be easier and more useful just to come up with a value that if it is added to or subtracted from the average would cover 98 percent of all of the cases. In other words, a number that would represent the maximum and minimum variation from the average 98 percent of the time. This, they decided would be called Standard Deviation. It shows how uniform or varied the data is.

If the Standard Deviation is a small number it means there will be very little change from the average. You can expect little change from the average.
If the Standard Deviation is a large number it means you will see a lot of change and can expected a lot of variation from the average.

OK, so how do you use it?
When you see some data for anything where a number of pieces of data were collected whether it is the velocity of a load or the percentage of return of a Stock or Bond there may (should) be the average and the Standard Deviation. If you add the value of the Standard Deviation to the average you will know what the maximum should be 98 percent of the time. If you subtract the Standard Deviation from the average you will know what the minimum should be 98 percent of the time.

Using numbers again, if the Average interest return for a bond is 7 percent and the Standard Deviation for that bonds performance over the last 5 years is 3 then you can figure that there is a 98 percent chance that the bond will produce something between 4 and 10 percent.
If the Standard Deviation is large expect the rate of return to be all over the place. If it is small you can expect the rate of return to be fairly constant.

If the velocity of a load averages 1740 FPS with a standard deviation of 35 there is a 98 percent chance that the loads will have a 1705 to 1775 FPS velocity.
If the velocity of a load averages 1740 FPS with a Standard Deviation of 5 there is a 98 percent chance that the loads will have a 1735 to 1745 FPS velocity.

When I say there is a 98 percent chance the variation will fall within the high and low values you should keep in mind that MOST of the velocities will be close to the average and very few of them will be out at the high or low value.
I won't try to explain that in detail but just remember, for consistency in shooting, we want the smallest Standard Deviation we can have.

Hopefully this wasn't too boring and you won't heat the tar very hot. :grin:

zonie :)

Great post. Not boring. Very useful.
Some info about how to compute SD when using a chrono would be REAL helpful for those of us who are
mathematically challenged.
Pete

I'm confused, a little.

The distribution of shots is Gaussian (also known as the normal distribution, or bell curve).

The standard deviation rule for Gaussian is known as the 68-95-99.7 rule.

If the mean is X and standard deviation is D, 68% of the shots should fall within X-D and X+D, 95% of shots should fall within X-2D and X+2D, and 99.7% of shots should fall within X-3D and X+3D. This gets more and more true as you take more shots.

Maybe Zonie is referring to another distribution?

Reckon I'm something of a standard deviate myself...

Good post, Zonie, thanks. :hatsoff:

Spot

Thanks Zonie, my chronograph gives the standard deviation for a string of shots and I do pay some attention to that number. It seems reasonable that a load which produces a small sd would be more accurate than one producing a large sd. However, I've never found that to be so. Time and again I have seen that the smallest sd does not equate to the smallest groups on target. I've seen this in both Ml and centerfire rifles and pistols. I've pretty much concluded that sd is a useless number.

"If the Standard Deviation is a small number it means there will be very little change from the average. You can expect little change from the average.
If the Standard Deviation is a large number it means you will see a lot of change and can expected a lot of variation from the average."

Regardless of where you stack your X's, D's and which text book you read, that's the nut of the deal. It's what folks need to remember while the mathmeticians and statisticians quibble.

Well said, Zonie!

There is another thing to remember about all statistical analysis as it relates to probability. That is what we're talking about here-the probability of a particular outcome occurring based on the analysis of observable data gathered from previous attempts/outcomes.

When stating a probability as a percentage-in this case the figure 98% was used-it pays to remember that this doesn't mean that there is only a 2% chance that the velocity will fall outside of the SD. There is always a 100% chance that the outcome will fall outside of the expected range. This is just one of the ways that the universe works to keep us humble! (Think 'Murphy's Law')

That being said, through diligent practice of techniques specifically designed to minimize variation the probability of a successful outcome can be increased to a very high degree.

Whew! College "Statistics" class was a long time ago!

regards

Ya”¦I had to endure a required stats class in college. What it all boils down to is that it ain’t a perfect world. SD is one of the measures of how imperfect it is. The lower the SD the better off you are. Small SD’s are closer to perfect, my SD’s are pretty high.

CoyoteJoe said:
Thanks Zonie, my chronograph gives the standard deviation for a string of shots and I do pay some attention to that number. It seems reasonable that a load which produces a small sd would be more accurate than one producing a large sd. However, I've never found that to be so. Time and again I have seen that the smallest sd does not equate to the smallest groups on target. I've seen this in both Ml and centerfire rifles and pistols. I've pretty much concluded that sd is a useless number.

Hehe if one is looking at the standard deviation of the distance between holes, that represents the size of the groups and it is exactly the thing that matters.

Anyway, everything else being equal, a small standard deviation in velocity will give smaller groups than a larger standard deviation in velocity. You cannot violate the laws of physics.

The reason in practice you may not notice it is because your groups are 3-5 shots or at most 10 shots. A statistically significant measure would be something like greater than 30 shots. Also, you can't measure groups by looking at maximum pair-wise distance, instead you have to measure the standard deviation of the group.

A simple case to illustrate why standard deviation of velocity isn't a useless number. Next time you shoot, instead of measuring X amount of powder each time, vary it a lot for each shot in the group. Lets see how your groups look.

There's a reason why competition shooters use super accurate powder measures, not because having a same volume of powder is important, but because each bullet traveling at the same speed is important. Of course, it's not just important for good groups, but so you can accurately calibrate your sights and hit the target.

When stating a probability as a percentage-in this case the figure 98% was used-it pays to remember that this doesn't mean that there is only a 2% chance that the velocity will fall outside of the SD. There is always a 100% chance that the outcome will fall outside of the expected range. This is just one of the ways that the universe works to keep us humble! (Think 'Murphy's Law')

Hehe I better go buy some lottery then, I'll definitely win since I expect to lose.

Yup, SD is often referred to as sigma. "3 or 6 sigma manufacturing" is now a cliche term for high yield processes.

Flip a coin 10 times, you may get 7 heads. Flip a coin 100 times and you have about as much chance of getting 70 heads as winning the powerball. This is the law of statistical regression. The more you play, the more the house wins. Pass on Vegas and the lottery. Save your hard earned shekels for a new muzzleloader. :yakyak:

Good info and very easy to understand. I assumed I knew what SD meant, but I was not quite there.

Zonie, can you compute an SD for how much I shake when a big bull elk steps out in front of my sights? :grin:

snowdragon said:
Zonie, can you compute an SD for how much I shake when a big bull elk steps out in front of my sights? :grin:
It is directly proportional to the size of the critter. The bigger the critter, the more the shakes, however it is also inversely proportional to the number of days before you have to leave so the fewer the number of days you have left to hunt, the worse it gets.

frou frou: I didn't want to get into the distribution curves and your right. You might notice that your 99.7 is pretty close to my 98 percent (which I used because it sounds more belivable than 99.7 percent to the average person).
This distribution curve is why I said in my original post, "...the variation will fall within the high and low values you should keep in mind that MOST of the velocities will be close to the average and very few of them will be out at the high or low value."

Pete D: "...Some info about how to compute SD when using a chrono would be REAL helpful for those of us who are
mathematically challenged....:
You don't want to know. It will make your head hurt so bad you will forget why you were even wondering about it.

zonie :)

Latest posts

Back