• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stainless nipples?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

east texas

45 Cal.
Reaction score
mornin!! my new 58 rem arrived yesterday :grin: :grin: :grin: its the sheriff 5 1/2 inch bbl! today i will blast away! i also orderd a 60 army but still waiting :hmm: my questions are should i change the nipples to stainless , if so why and if not so why? i sot some fifles yesterday and the stainless nipple sure was easier to clean than the others , would it be a marked improvement on the remmie also does anyone know what size,thread should be orderd for it !its pietta also i was very pleased with the overall apperance except the grips were oil soaked which makes them very dark thanx for any input on the nipples! ill let yall know if i can hit the broadsie of a barn or not mike

Good luck with the new Remmy. Shoot the ones (nipples) you have, then change 'em out to Tresso's (Ampco). Look at Pietta's web site or go to VTI's web site for thread info--it's all right there and the sooner you learn how to get along yourself, the less money on mistakes you'll spend. Not trying to be a PITA, just some tough Love here Mike!

When changing-out nipples, some folks like to replace them with #11's, so they only have to stock one size cap. Different manufacturers make the caps slightly larger/smaller, so sometimes they're not interchangeable amongst brands, so watch what fits & what you buy.......

Dave

thanx dave and dont worry i dont have a feeling left! your right on getting along for myself thats why im here tryin to learn and what i do learn i pass along so it all works out! great idea on changing to no 11 its also a lot more common to find 11s than 10s in the sporting stores there are no stores here who cater to the powder crowd! so usually a pawn shop in some other town or a academy if i make it to the big city! ill try the websites u mentioned and see what i can find ! oh just got back inside and cant hit s#$% YET!

Galling can be a problem - particularly between threaded stainless steel (male and female). If you have a stainless steel cylinder, don't use stainless nipples. The more different you can keep the threaded connection materials, the more resistant to galling. That's a reason I like Ampro bronze nipples in steel barrels.
Doug

Been shooting mine for 5 years now with the original nipples. Cleans up fine and no noticeable wear to this point.

Latest posts

Back