• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

squirrels and deer scouting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
come on now,surely i'm not the only one chasin' the busytails.perfect opprotunity to scout deer for the up-coming season,starts in mid november here in Missouri. seen a nice eight pointer and a spike down in the bottoms,lots of turkeys also,and dozens of squirrels.
0104.jpg

0173.jpg

True, it's a great time to scout for deer. I saw four deer on my last squirrel outing. Perhaps, you're the only hunter managing in bringing the squirrels back? :grin:

Swampy said:
Actaully, more times than not, squirrels let me know when a deer is coming or close by.

What have you noticed? Teach me! :grin:

Trench said:
Swampy said:
Actaully, more times than not, squirrels let me know when a deer is coming or close by.

:haha: Well, they get to chattering, more often than not somethin is in the area. Usually, here, it's a deer.

Swampy said:
Trench said:
Swampy said:

:haha: Well, they get to chattering, more often than not somethin is in the area. Usually, here, it's a deer.

That's why you don't want to get busted by a squirrel (or a crow, for that matter!!) :nono:

I can't squirrel hunt in october because I bowhunt. But yes squirrels and deer tend to hang out in the same areas.

Swampy said:
Trench said:
Swampy said:

Yep, same here. I don't know how many times the squirrels have told me there were deer coming.

When you hear them cussing and chasing around, it's usually because one squirrel is in anothers territory and is getting run off. If they are sitting up a tree cussing, it is usually because something big is around. Could be a coyote or another hunter... or a deer. :grin:

And, like Dixie Flinter said, they'll tell the deer when they find YOU too. :cursing: (and I just hate crows.)

anyone keep a judo point or a pc blunt in the quiver for squirrels. I often wish it was not illegal to have the Crockett 32 cal pistol to pop them. I had one about 5 feet from me today when bow hunting. I have not seen many deer yet the corn is still up and going to be for a long time with this funky Illinois weather. I helped my neighbor put up hay today in his barn he says he thinks it will be thanksgiving before the corn is in This is the week after the first general firearms nov 20 I get to hunt tree rats until feb 15

I keep a grabber tip in my bow quiver for squirrels. I also like using them for when the squirrels get in the yard.

I've been out after squirrels a couple time. It's pretty tough right now. The trees are just now really starting to drop leaves. I haven't made meat with my new fowler yet :shake: :( I haven't seen a whole lot of deer sign either for that matter :hmm:

Back