• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spurs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Presley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What was the style of spurs of the time from from the Revolion to Civil War. What kind would a mountainman wore?

What was the style of spurs of the time from from the Revolion to Civil War. What kind would a mountainman wore?

I'll take wild guess and say none.

I've never heard of spurs being worn with moccasins and can't imagine them being worn when working a trap line.

Good question though. :thumbsup:
I'll be interested to hear what others who know that period better have to say.

I've seen a few spurs from the western trade period. They appeared to be of Mexican origin for the most part, and fairly crude. The fancy roweled ones didn't show up too much until the 1860's, I don't believe.
I've wore them with mocassins, and they work just fine. But you take them off when you get off the horse. I suspect quirts were more common than spurs for the western trade.
They aren't all that hard to make, if you aren't doing real fancy work on the rowels. And even that is just time consuming, rather than all that difficult.

I've wore them with mocassins, and they work just fine.

Most modern spurs are designed to fit tight on the boot, just above the heel. They are wedged into the depression between the heel of the boot and the upper. Mine grip pretty tight and it takes a little force to remove them even after undoing the straps. How are they held in place on a moccasin?

spurs.jpg

adamspurs.jpg

Found this interesting
About Spurs
The earliest spurs were possibly made from wood or bone and probably took the form of "prick" or "prong" spurs, as recorded in Patagonia and Terra del Fuego (de Lacy 1911).

The first recorded metal examples were simple bronze spurs found in Etruscan tombs from the 2nd Century BC, others from that time have been found at Roman sites in Britain. They gradually changed in shape, developing plates that stopped the spike penetrating the horses' sides, or taking on a ball and spike form (as seen in the Bayeux tapestry) that had the same function. Eventually a pyramidal or conical shaped goad developed

Rowels probably originated in France or Spain in the 10th Century A.D., they are first recorded in Britain in Henry III's reign - two seals from 1240 depict the king - on one he wears prick spurs, and on the other rowelled.

In the following centuries spurs became associated with rank and chivalry. We speak of "earning one's spurs" - a disgraced knight would have his spurs and sword broken as part of his punishment. A knight would wear gold or gilt spurs and an esquire silver .
Through the fifteenth Century rowels became smaller and spur necks became longer. This was so that the spur could reach around the flanchards ( horse armour or barding ) The mediaeval horseman who rode with legs extended forwards also needed spurs with longer necks which could still reach their horse's sides. Over the following centuries, rowels changed shape and size, some developed "jingle-bobs". In seventeenth Century Germany spurs developed multiple necks and rowels, but these were probably for ceremonial or dress use only.

Meanwhile in Spain - spur development was influenced both by Northern European large rowels, and by the large circular heel plate derived from Moorish spurs. The "espuela grande" travelled to America with the conquistadors, this evolved into the various designs of Latin American & Western spur

Latin American spurs include the Mexican or Chihuahua and gaucho spurs categorised as Chilenas, Lloronas and Nazarenas (so named because of the rowel's resemblance to a crown of thorns).
From South America the vaqueros carried spur design north, changing climate and terrain caused regional variations in the shape of Western spurs.

Miller sketched a few of the mountain men wearing spurs. If I remeber they were a single post type. The 1837 Sketchbook by Rex Norman talks a little about spurs.

Back