• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sprue removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished molding up a batch of 58 ca. round balls from pure lead.
I used the J. Tanner .570 round ball mold.
I cut the lead sprue off with my metal nippers. However there is still a small part still sticking up on each one. Thinking that this piece would cause accuracy problems.
How does everyone remove this small piece?

If you load with sprue up when you seat the ball against the powder the pressure from the ramrod will round out the ball. You will not find any difference in accuracy as long as it was soft lead :2

I use Lee moulds for casting most of my projectiles. They cut the sprue very close to the ball. But, to make the sprue as small of an issue as possible, I tumble my newly cast balls in a rock tumbler with no tumbling medium in it. About 30 to 45 minutes is plenty. Less and the balls will not have had time to tumble the sprue marks off. Over an hour and you end up with rifle balls that have a textured surface from tumbling together. It has no effect on the performance of the balls but they just look nicer when not over tumbled.

If you don't have a rock tumbler, you can try a method that I used a few times many years ago before I got my rock tumbler. I made a shallow plywood box that was about 12 inches by 12 inches and had sides that were about 1/2 inch high. I put my newly cast balls in it filling it about 3/4 full. Then I put the lid on it and held it in place with duck tape. I put it under the seat of my truck and drove around with it there for about a week. When I took them out, they had rolled around enough to remove the spru marks. It works but I prefer the rock tumbler.

My method for removing the sprue from a ball cast in a mold without a sprue cutter is to use a pair of "side cutters" with a .222 ( I shoot a .445 diameter ball) radius ground in to the cutting side. I then "roll" the ball with a set of rolling plates. Plus I use a short starter and ramrod with the proper radius cut into them. :idunno: :idunno:

When casting balls sitting around a camp fire. I use a primitive ball mould. I use the sprue cutter to cut the sprue, but as y'all know, there is still a little bit of a "burr" left. I then take a little iron file from my possibles bag and after a few draws, the ball is pretty darn round. Period correct and good enough to break a moving clay skeet at 75 yards and win the turkey at my club's annual shoot in November. :wink:

Back