• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spiller & Burr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you looking for one? Be aware they are quite small compared to a brass NMA. I wanted one until my friend let me handle his. After getting my trigger finger unstuck I handed it back to him with a thanks and a note to self I no longer wanted one.

Looks like they are already gone at Taylor's, gotta act fast I guess!

Well, I couldn't resist and ordered one from Dixie. Really happy with the service, ordered Wednesday morning and I got it today. I don't know when I can get a chance to shoot it, but overall it seems really nice. Typical not so great Pietta grip fitting, but other than that I can see no flaws. It looks like they fixed a few of the complaints about the earlier revolvers. The hammer no longer interferes with seeing the rear sight, the nose of the hammer fits nicely into the safety notches, and it looks like they enlarged the loading cutout in the frame so there is now room for conical bullets. The rammer is still long though, sticking into the cutout, so that might still interfere. I can see the comment about it not being good for large hands though, pretty small in the grip area. Luckily fits me pretty well though. I expect it will shoot really high, but I don't mind making a taller front sight if needed.

OK, I got my Spiller & Burr from Dixie today, and took it apart to clean. This is my first Pietta product so I was really curious how it would compare to a Uberti.
  • Pietta's box with the styrofoam insert is waaaaay better than Uberti's flimsy boxes! And the manual actually has a parts diagram.
  • The hammer does indeed fit into the safety notches. I forgot to check the sight clearance.
  • It does look like the rammer is too long to load conicals. Unfortunately I don't have any here to try.
  • Yes, the wood grips could be fit better.
  • The worst defect is the edge of the left side recoil shield is rough. I will have to sand and polish it. :rolleyes:
  • The left rear edge of the grip is slightly rough.
  • The bolt has a burr on one leg, although it doesn't touch anything and doesn't affect function.
I have to say the two Ubertis I bought new were not as dirty as this gun was; I don't think Pietta cleans off their machining coolant/lube much before assembly.

Overall, I am happy with it. I might strip the finish off the grips as the stain bled over the brass inserts which looks weird. It'll be a while before I can shoot it. Can't wait!

Sounds a lot like mine. I did shoot one cylinder over the weekend. As expected, with the front sight almost buried it still hit about 10 inches high at 20 yards.

The Spillers foul badly due to the frame flat in front of the chambers blowing debris directly into the cylinder pin.

Poor design, and the Pietta rendition is crudely built and looks nothing like the original if compared side by side.

Pics, please, after you get her cleaned up!!

Pics:

20231212_193031.jpg
20231212_193105.jpg
20231212_193051.jpg
20231212_181216.jpg
20231212_193110.jpg
20231212_193039.jpg

Question for anyone else that owns one of these:
Does the T-shaped pin that retains the cylinder pin rotate super easily?
I think it is supposed to have some friction, and should therefore be slightly shorter so the wave washer under the screw actually touches the frame.

Last edited:
Question for anyone else that owns one of these:
Does the T-shaped pin that retains the cylinder pin rotate super easily?
I think it is supposed to have some friction, and should therefore be slightly shorter so the wave washer under the screw actually touches the frame.
Mine rotates very easily, the washer touches the frame, but just barely.

Back