• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Spiller & Burr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could help you now but I will tell you that while you wait it might be worth calling EMF and they will put you on the waiting list for when they come in. Debbie there is a gem and she WILL take care of you! I had her call me over a year later and tell me they got in a revolver I wanted. I had forgotten but she didn't!

I would make an offer of 175.00 for yours shipped. But I will have to wait until Friday after next to get it from you. Bills due this week.

I see that this tread is few months old but did you get that Spiller & Burr.? In case you did what do you think of it? I am about to get a second hand or as new one next weekend. Yes I am exited, even as I have a few others and have had since the early 90s.

I see that this tread is few months old but did you get that Spiller & Burr.? In case you did what do you think of it? I am about to get a second hand or as new one next weekend. Yes I am exited, even as I have a few others and have had since the early 90s.
I did get the Spiller and Burr, I have not shot it yet. My overall impression is it is a quality firearm however it being a Pietta made for Cabella’s, they are very proud of their workmanship and have put their stamp on virtually every surface. It will require more defarbing than most other BP firearms. Many surfaces will need polishing and they shoot notoriously high. I would suggest looking at Blackies video on American Bushcraft to see his modifications and reviews on the Spiller and Burr. It is made on the Whitney patent and I bought it basically just to have another confederate representation in my collection as the Griswold and the Spiller were the only brass framed revolvers put to any real use by the confederacy. Many are fantasy guns that are not historically accurate. Some modifications Blackie suggests for any real accuracy is a taller front site blade. Versus the cone shape and notching the hammer unless you prefer doing a 6:00 hold. Of course that shiny mirror brass finish has to go as well. Vinegar and table salt fumes in a sealed container will take care of the brass parts if you disassemble it. No need to submerge it. Or remove the lacquer and let time take care of it. I would say that I would trust my life more to other guns before the Spiller and Burr due to the caps blowing off even with crimping. this annoyance has been reported due to the headspace being so tight that the back pressure has nowhere to go except outwards, thus caps are prone to blow off. It is noticeably louder to bystanders when standing on either he side of you. Blackie has a fix for that cap issue too. Despite its obvious design flaws I am happy with it just the same as a historical representation of a businessman’s patriotic attempt to supply the confederacy with arms, and the trials and failures. and it’s place in history. Ironically a collector could by an original cheaper that what it cost the confederacy to acquire them. But while still a cheap BP replica option, be prepared to spend time and another 150.00 to have it defarbed and antiqued.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I got my new second hand Spiller & Burr today. Bought it of a good friend. I probably will defarb it, but it has some wear already, and the brass is naturally blackened from use. It is thigh and seem like a good one. It will probably not shoot as good as the Remington 1858 Pietta Navy match that I love and cherish. The former owner already did a front sight job, that looks just fine!

I miss my ol Spiller and Burr. Found it at a gun shop locally with a price tag of $150. Talked them down to $125 taxes and tag included. Original box as well.

That thing would hit a man size steel target at 50 yards no problem. Like an idiot I sold it for $200 shipped.

I just made a YouTube video with my new second hand Pietta Spiller & Burr. I will post it as a new tread as: "Pietta`s Spiller & Burr".

I am happy as can be with it, 17gn of FFFg Polish powder #10 caps and a .380 RB. The front sight was done right an it shoots POA.

Back