• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

extra spiller and burr cylinder...will it work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crowtalks

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have picked up a spiller and burr revolver and I am thinking about getting a spare cylinder. I was wondering if it will work "out of the box", or if I will need to time it to the gun?

Jim

Last edited:
I have a spiller and burr revolver and I am thinking about getting a spare cylinder. I was wondering if it will work "out of the box", or if I will need to time it to the gun?

Jim
If the cylinder is from the same manufacture as the gun it will work out of the box. Cylinders are not timed to guns they are on a 60deg rotation.

Just "fitted" a conversion cylinder for a fella a couple weeks ago on a Rogers & Spencer. I believe it was a Howell. It was rubbing up against the back face of the barrel so tightly it would not rotate when you tried to cock the hammer. Filed the barrel face down a bit & things worked fine. Revolver had been rebarreled for target work with a very tight clearance with the original cylinder, so that may have been why the conversion cylinder was too tight. The rotation & bolt lock up won't need any "timing", as the bolt notch will line up the cylinder chamber & barrel forcing cone to within tolerance. If not your cylinder has been grossly mis-machined & you will need a new one, as "timing" it is not an option. Except for this one case, every cylinder I have installed has been a plug & play affair.

If it's a Pietta it should fit without any work but there's no 100% guarantee. I have a couple of extra Remington cylinders that fit as they should and also interchange between the 2 guns. The Pietta S & B cylinder is $135 from VTI gun parts, a lot of money for something that you do not need.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=71&cat=Pietta+1862+Spiller+and+Burr

This gun has gone through a couple of owners, and the first owner stripped the bluing off the cylinder for some reason (the rest of the gun looks great), and I picked this little Pietta up cheap enough, that I feel I can spend $82 (to the door) for an extra cylinder for target practice.

Latest posts

Back