• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder gunsmith, Georgia?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
Anybody know of a smith in Georgia particularly good with black powder guns? Years ago we had a great one in Bob Watts at Stone Mountain Armory. Unfortunately, Bob passed away some time ago, and I have not been able to find another one anywhere near his competence level with smoky guns.

My current issue is with an early Thompson Center Hawken rifle with a broken bridle Even though we've canibleized several old TC Hawkens rifles, their bridles just don't work in this particular gun. Thompson Center has been no help due to the fire that destroyed their their records some time ago, But according to several sources, TC changed the design of their trigger group sometime soon after the rifle's introduction in 1970, so that could be the problem.

Anyway, I need a gunsmith with experience fixing these guns.

Track of the wolf and gunpartscorp both sell them. It isn't a very complex part, you could probably make one using yours as a pattern if you have some files and a drill press. Or maybe even have yours TIG welded?

Anybody know of a smith in Georgia particularly good with black powder guns? Years ago we had a great one in Bob Watts at Stone Mountain Armory. Unfortunately, Bob passed away some time ago, and I have not been able to find another one anywhere near his competence level with smoky guns.

My current issue is with an early Thompson Center Hawken rifle with a broken bridle Even though we've canibleized several old TC Hawkens rifles, their bridles just don't work in this particular gun. Thompson Center has been no help due to the fire that destroyed their their records some time ago, But according to several sources, TC changed the design of their trigger group sometime soon after the rifle's introduction in 1970, so that could be the problem.

There’s a guy at GA Firing Line who was famous for gunsmithing movie guns out west. He moved here last year and is working as a gunsmith there. He did a lock fitting and drilled & tapped it for mounting screws for me and it was perfect. Had to wait almost a month but it was worth it. I’d gladly use him again

I have a gunsmithing business up in KY. I do have a few of the older T C parts. Send me a closeup of the part, and dimensions if possible and I will see what I can do to help.
Charlie
[email protected]

Have you considered just replacing the lock with one in the newer configeration?
The mortise should except the lock plate and you can candle black the workings of the lock to show you what wood you need to remove, if any, then you have a lock you can find parts for. The cost of a gunsmith to make a custom bridal will be about the cost of a new or used lock or more.

Back