• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Speaking of Hessions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bountyhunter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am trying not to hijack the other thread--have you guys read the article in the Rifleman that just came yesteday about the (Hessian/Prussian) German Military Muskets?

That period isnt my main interest, but when I look at those pictures, am I seeing a resemblence to the NW gun? General shape, large bow trigger guard, serpent sideplate?

Don't have the article, but a German musket would not resemble a NW trade gun.

I think I have a photo of an old German musket modeled after the Prussian "Potzdam" pattern. Give me a minute...

here we go.
Musket1.jpg

The sideplate does have a sort of "serpentine" wavy form, but that's as close as it gets to the dragon sideplate. Variations of these serpentine shapes are pretty common on European guns, particularly from the first half of the 18th century.

This particular gun is much more attractive than the standard Prussian pattern, which has a really odd looking butt (I don't know why). This one is much more normal in shaping. It has a cool octagon top of the comb.

If I remember correctly, German soldiers were sometimes armed by the English with Brown Bess muskets. Not sure about that though.

See if you can get ahold of that new Rifleman. I'm not up on this school of muskets, but it does fascinate me, that is why I asked so to call your attention to the article.

Most of the article is on the Brunswick musket, a rather fugly beaste it is. Also discussed is the 1740 Prussian musket which is the one that I thought resembled a NW gun. It is nicely made, but that Brunswick is a fugly club. They say that they find a lot of them yet in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Back