• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spare Cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom-ADC

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of picking up two spare cylinders for my Pietta 1858 Remington Navies, think they will fit and function without any problems?

You might go on Cabelas site and check the customer feedback of those who have already purchased spare cylinders. I don't think Cabelas sells '58 Navy pistols, but army and '51 Navy buyers should give you a pretty good idea as to overall quality.

I wanted a more accurate Leech & Rigdon confederate revolver but the brass framed ’51 Colt copies have the Navy scene on them. So I thought I would get the cylinder of a gun that didn’t have the Navy scene and just swap. The ones I tried do not fit. I did chuck the guns original cylinder in a lathe and carefully took the scene off and now it looks more like the original.

IMG_1208.jpg

Well the reviews looked good I bought two of the .36 cal cylinders. worst comes to worse I'll send them back, but based on what I read should not be a problem.

don't do mail order, unless it is the same were you got the gun. also, make sure it is the same manufacture, ub order ub, filp, order filp, i my self will have to drive 60 miles, but it is worth the safety factor, don,t want no offset cy to bore, or any other dif. and yes they are worth it.

Pietta makes two distinct 1858 Remington designs - the inexpensive version sold by a bazillion vendors, and a competition version. I can speak ONLY for the competition version.

This revolver has very few parts common with the other. Bore diameter and dimensions of chambers are different, as is lock work. Quality control is high, in my experience comparable with my Freedom Arms revolvers and Colt Pythons I have owned. For my Piettas I have three extra cylinders EACH. Revolvers' quality control/tolerances are so nearly perfect that cylinders are drop-in - I cannot identify any substantive difference among cylinders on the chronograph or on the target.

I have no idea whether this interchangeability extends to other Pietta revolvers.

Hope this provides some insight.

The Leech & Rigdon I wanted is a Uberti. The cylinders were not from the same model.
I don’t think Uberti has a cylinder without the Navy scene on it.
One was too tight and I actually did make it fit by removing some material from the face.
But I wound up using the gun original cylinder.

I got one of the Pietta 1858 Rem Army's from Cabela's this Christmas. When I got a gift certificate for Cabela's, too, I went back and got another cylinder from the same location. I can't tell any difference between the two. Both function equally well as far as I can tell.

Spare cylinders came in last night I test fit them this morning, perfect fit hard to tell them from the ones that came with the Remingtons. Very happy.
Used a borelight to check alignment looks great to me, going to shoot them next week.
Maybe a new holster set simular to the Preacher set used in Pale Rider is in order :grin:

I wondered the same thing but was told if they are .36's they are Navy & .44 Army, being an old Navy chief I sure hope thats true..

I guess you know better than I, since my Remmy is a .44. Thought only Colt made "Navy's", but I could be wrong!

So Chief, where were you stationed?

It say's it's a Navy! I guess you can teach an old BP shooter a new trick!

I thought that all '58 Remmy's were New Model Army's, even if they're .36 caliber. I stand corrected. Interesting about the markings on the box though..... :idunno:

Have fun making smoke!

Dave

So would you cap the loaded spare cylinders first or wait until they are mounted in the gun?
I'm thinking safety wise wait until its installed in the gun then cap.

Yep, you're thinking right. There was a recent anecdotal post about someone dropping a capped cylinder off the bench and it firing off a round down the line.

Tom-ADC said:
So would you cap the loaded spare cylinders first or wait until they are mounted in the gun?
I'm thinking safety wise wait until its installed in the gun then cap.

If I was just plinking or target shooting, I'd only cap at the firing line. If I was unfortunate enough to have to rely on using a '58 to protect myself from 2-legged animals during a riot, I'd cap 'em first and then wear 'em in a special cylinder holster meant for just such a task. And the '58 would be the back-up for my Walker with 52 grains of powder, and the '60 Army would be the back-up for em' both. Sort of a regular Josey Wales approach.

Seriously though, unless I'm in a wilderness situation (fishing with BIG bears) or where firepower is needed (and I don't have my .44 Mag with me), I'm capping at the firing line. Safety first!

Dave

Back