• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spare Cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ole New York reload approach?

I'd have to agree on that with one extra. With flap holsters I wouldn't be concerned about leavin a chamber empty, I'd put the hammers in the safety notches. Without flap holsters the cylinders in the firearms would only have five charges. But that's me.

wait until they are in the gun, you don,t want one or more going off when your changing out cyld's. it could drop, or hammer could hit primer ect,ect,. i always wait until i am at the line to (cap on) :thumbsup: .

tv_racin_fan said:
The ole New York reload approach?

I'd have to agree on that with one extra. With flap holsters I wouldn't be concerned about leavin a chamber empty, I'd put the hammers in the safety notches. Without flap holsters the cylinders in the firearms would only have five charges. But that's me.

I'm talking about at the range where its okay to load six if you are punching holes in paper. Were I to carry them loaded then 5 max.
I will do the cap in revolver figured thats best & of course safest.

I practiced swapping cylinders some it must be done carefully but is do-able. I practiced with unloaded cylinders but feel a loaded and capped spare can be swapped if careful as said. I grab the hammer between 2 fingers to secure it when swapping.
I did this in preparation for hog hunting but it was not neccessary to swap out.
good smoke! :thumbsup:

Back