• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sows ear CVA Hawken.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up this severely botched kit gun a few weeks ago for $100 because it appeared to have never been shot. Date code in the serial number showed it was made in 1987. Whoever built it as a kit didn’t polish the casting marks out of the brass, used a belt sander or something on half the stock, didn’t crown the barrel and didn’t do much with the inletting. I just wanted a cheap lighter weight gun for hunting. Tired of beating up my nice custom guns dragging them in the brush and falling down. I removed the cold blue on the barrel and browned it and all the small parts and screws. Done the best I could do with the stock and inletting. Hit that ugly beech/birch with some leather dye and linseed oil then Polished the brass to a matt finish. It still needs a few coats on the wood and a touch up of dye where I did the last sanding. New sights are on the way from Track then I’ll be set to dial her in. These old CVAs are shooters. I know people knock these cheap guns but for some reason I just like them. I think it looks pretty good for what it is.
I love it! I did something similar with a T/C Hawken recently. It too was a kit gun with issues, and with a whole lot of elbow grease, it looks presentable now. I traded some gun parts I didn't have anything in for it, and the only reason I took on the project was because the bore was perfect. Great job on your CVA!:thumb:

Really nice looking rifle you have restored. I just did my Dads old Mountain Stalker last year and it is one very accurate rifle. It’s .50 cal and I have been using roundballs with 3f. Just fun to shoot. Currently doing an old CVA .45 Kentucky kit I found and will finish the same but use a different color stain!

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
That sure as heck doesn't look like a hundred dollar rifle. Good job buddy. If she shoots half as good as she looks, your in business!

Beautiful!! Nice work SIr! I sure hope this CVA Mountain I'm doing turns out that good haha. Gun Snobs are everywhere, I have zero problems with my Spaniard cap busters. And the deer never seem to die any different when I smack them with one. You're right about the Sights they are the worst. But if the rear sight is on the right way they are 100% better. I had my Kentucky a few years and had took a few deer with it. Until one morning sitting in a hang on I was starting at my rear sight while the gun was laying on my lap. And it hit me, the sight was on backwards (factory gun). I took it home and flipped it around and was AMAZED how much better I could see the front sight post. :D

I picked up this severely botched kit gun a few weeks ago for $100 because it appeared to have never been shot. Date code in the serial number showed it was made in 1987. Whoever built it as a kit didn’t polish the casting marks out of the brass, used a belt sander or something on half the stock, didn’t crown the barrel and didn’t do much with the inletting. I just wanted a cheap lighter weight gun for hunting. Tired of beating up my nice custom guns dragging them in the brush and falling down. I removed the cold blue on the barrel and browned it and all the small parts and screws. Done the best I could do with the stock and inletting. Hit that ugly beech/birch with some leather dye and linseed oil then Polished the brass to a matt finish. It still needs a few coats on the wood and a touch up of dye where I did the last sanding. New sights are on the way from Track then I’ll be set to dial her in. These old CVAs are shooters. I know people knock these cheap guns but for some reason I just like them. I think it looks pretty good for what it is.
Nice job! Especially on the lock panels. You see so many where the “builder” sands the panels with an orbital sander or something without regard for the edges of the panels and the result is just nasty looking. Beech is also difficult to stain properly. Nice work indeed.

Beautiful!! Nice work SIr! I sure hope this CVA Mountain I'm doing turns out that good haha. Gun Snobs are everywhere, I have zero problems with my Spaniard cap busters. And the deer never seem to die any different when I smack them with one. You're right about the Sights they are the worst. But if the rear sight is on the right way they are 100% better. I had my Kentucky a few years and had took a few deer with it. Until one morning sitting in a hang on I was starting at my rear sight while the gun was laying on my lap. And it hit me, the sight was on backwards (factory gun). I took it home and flipped it around and was AMAZED how much better I could see the front sight post. :D
Well I put some balls down range just now. Rear sight is still in the browning process so ignore the rust. This target is at 50 yards. Had to file the rear way down to get it on paper then it was hitting way right. Once I was on paper I just started drifting the sight one shot at a time until I got it dead center. Last three shots were dead where I want them. One inch or so high at 50 puts me in the kill zone from 0-80 yards or so. I never shoot further than that at deer anyways. Last three shots were touching. Btw my eyesight is getting terrible. I had to use a black sharpie on that silver front sight to be able to see it. .490 cast ball, 60 grains of 3F BP, spit patch and no cleaning between shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4510.jpeg
    IMG_4510.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4514.jpeg
    IMG_4514.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4515.jpeg
    IMG_4515.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4516.jpeg
    IMG_4516.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Well I put some balls down range just now. Rear sight is still in the browning process so ignore the rust. This target is at 50 yards. Had to file the rear way down to get it on paper then it was hitting way right. Once I was on paper I just started drifting the sight one shot at a time until I got it dead center. Last three shots were dead where I want them. One inch or so high at 50 puts me in the kill zone from 0-80 yards or so. I never shoot further than that at deer anyways. Last three shots were touching. Btw my eyesight is getting terrible. I had to use a black sharpie on that silver front sight to be able to see it. .490 cast ball, 60 grains of 3F BP, spit patch and no cleaning between shots.
Can't beat that!

Nice shooting.
Those foresights look really cool but I have excellent eyesight, (from 24” to infinity apparently) and I have always hated trouble with that style. Much prefer a partridge style blade. Ugly as a mud fence but functional…

Nice shooting.
Those foresights look really cool but I have excellent eyesight, (from 24” to infinity apparently) and I have always hated trouble with that style. Much prefer a partridge style blade. Ugly as a mud fence but functional…
I may put the cva front sight back on it. It’s ugly but it’s fat with a bead. I can’t see this one hardly at all.

That's some mighty fine shooshting! That'll get the meat in the pot all day and twice on Sunday. I do like that style rear sight, the CVA Mountain I have has that same one. But I think I too will try to find another front sight like is on my Traditions Hawken Woodsman. Its the bead style like you mentioned. One more thing, How did you apply that leather dye? Do you just put it on a cloth and wipe it on like any other stain?

That's some mighty fine shooshting! That'll get the meat in the pot all day and twice on Sunday. I do like that style rear sight, the CVA Mountain I have has that same one. But I think I too will try to find another front sight like is on my Traditions Hawken Woodsman. Its the bead style like you mentioned. One more thing, How did you apply that leather dye? Do you just put it on a cloth and wipe it on like any other stain?
I just used a folded up cotton cleaning patch to apply it.

I really like the brass/wood contrast on that.

That birch stock really looked pretty good after Kiwi shoe polish for stain and hand rubbed line seed and turpentine.

I am still a novice, TreeMan, but that rifle looks terrific. Very nice job. And I totally agree with you on how these 'cheap' guns just hunt. Like you, I just like things that work.
Not sure what maker your CVA is [1987?], but it has the drum style ignition like my 2 Traditions [Ardessa] and if I want to count on certain ignition and accuracy for hunting, I choose these every day over the 2 TC Hawkins I own. The TCs are built substantially stouter but are both way more prone to misfires and hangfires. I can make them shoot pretty consistently now, but if I screw up one detail they don't forgive like my cheapies do. And, they aren't as accurate. Way more difficult to learn their idiosyncrasies. Maybe inexpensive bargain is a better description of the "cheapies". Especially when they consistently put meat on the table. SW

Back