• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sourdough Starter / yeast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woods Dweller

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Start your own Sourdough Starter

2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon of sugar or honey
1 tablespoon or packet active dry yeast
2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

Pour the water into a 3- to 4-quart glass or ceramic container or bowl, and add dissolve the sugar or honey and the yeast in that order. Stir in the flour gradually. Cover the jar or bowl with a clean dishcloth and place it somewhere warm. By using a dishcloth instead of plastic wrap, you'll allow any wild yeast in the area to infiltrate and begin to work with the domestic yeast which itself is beginning to develop "wild" characteristics and flavors.

Drying Sourdough Starter For Long Term StorageThere’s not much to this process. Just smear some fresh sourdough starter in a thin layer over a piece of parchment paper and let dry. Once dry, the starter will easily separate from the paper and can be ground up into small pieces and placed in a plastic ziplock bag.
Store your starter in the freezer for as long as you like. This is not a bad idea, as a routine measure, in order to backup your working batch of starter in case it meets with an unexpected demise.

How to Dry a Sourdough Starter
Turn on the light that illuminates the inside your oven, if your oven has one. Do not turn on the heat, however. Lay a piece of parchment paper on a hard, flat surface such as a tabletop or counter.
Scoop up some of your starter with a spatula and smear it over the parchment paper. Spread the sourdough starter into a very thin layer.
Place the piece of parchment paper carefully into your oven with the sourdough on top of the paper. Close the door and leave the starter here, under the oven light (if applicable), for at least several hours or up to overnight. If you do not have a light inside your oven, leave the starter to dry overnight or slightly longer. Remove the dried starter from the oven.
Peel the starter off the parchment paper. You may do this either by peeling it off by hand or by turning the parchment paper upside-down over a large container such as a bowl or baking sheet. Crush the dried sourdough starter into smaller pieces.
Place the crushed sourdough starter into an airtight container such as a resealable plastic bag. You may store the starter in the refrigerator for several months or in the freezer indefinitely.

A question. How did we get Yeast? How can we make Yeast today?

I believe Beer yeast is not the same as bread yeast.
I know that yeast settles on grapes, plumbs, ect.... That's what the white powder looking stuff is on grapes.

How did we come to have Yeast?

Woods Dweller said:
A question. How did we get Yeast? How can we make Yeast today?

I believe Beer yeast is not the same as bread yeast.
I know that yeast settles on grapes, plumbs, ect.... That's what the white powder looking stuff is on grapes.

How did we come to have Yeast?
Can you clarify your question more? I am unsure exactly what you are asking...

If I wanted to start making yeast how would I go about it?

How did people 200 or 800 years ago get yeast to add to there bread and beer?

Yeast is in the air and varies with area. So... you have a San Francisco sourdough bread and move to Bean Town. After a while the flavor of the bread changes. In any event the packaged yeast speeds up the process and insures you have a good starter but I have just left flour and warm water out and in about 3 days it is bubbling away. You have to feed the stuff daily to keep the bubbles from overdoing it.
Was sour dough used by long hunters or mountain men? I haven't found much on that.

Yeasts are all around you and can be cultured much like bacteria by allowing them to inoculate a favorable medium (in this case flour+water+sugar) and allowing them to grow.

Natural sources of yeast - air, the white bloom on grapes & oregon grapes, the yellow bloom on aspen bark, and many others.

To avoid confusion, yeasts, molds and mushrooms are all fungi....

I've always used some of the left over water from boiling potatos to help feed my starters.Along with the sugar. Don't know exactly why but the water always seems to get the starter really jumping, might be the starch from the potatos but I don't really know.After the starter is going good I use dried potato flakes(cheapest I can find) instead of the flour to feed it.Seems to give it better flavor too. YMHS Birdman

I want to say thank you to everyone who has answered my question.

My Computer is to slow to watch videos.
But I did search Natural Yeast.

I am going to give this a try!

Levain - natural yeast starterLevain is a natural yeast starter, an ancient way of making bread rise. The starter is made solely from flour and water and left to ferment in the air; the baker watches it and "feeds" it regularly with equal amounts of flour and water as it is used up. The starter can be given a personal touch by using, for example, a little fruit juice or beer. Bread made with a natural yeast starter has a distinctive taste. It is slightly tangy and denser, with a flavor unlike that made from ordinary baker's yeast.
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/products/bakery/natural-yeast-starter/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeast making

1: Capture the Yeast
This method is dependent on how much wild yeast is circulating in the air in your kitchen at any given time. Baking frequently adds yeast to the air, so trying to capture the yeast soon after baking bread will help ensure success.

1.Combine in a bowl:
2 cups of warm water
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 cups of flour

2.Cover the bowl with cheesecloth and place in a warm area in your kitchen.

3.Stir the mixture once a day.
4.It will begin to bubble when you have captured yeast.

5.Allow the mixture to continue to sit for 3-4 days after you first notice the bubbles.

Step 2: Dry the Yeast

1.Spread the liquid mixture out on plastic wrap or waxed paper to dry.

2.When it is dry, break the dried yeast into chunks.

3.Grind the chunks into small particles using a the food processor.

4.Freeze the yeast in an airtight container for long term storage.

5.Yeast will become dormant when they do not have warmth and a food source such as sugar.

Not natural, but a friend writing a book on 19th-century cooking sent me his chapter on sourdough. After consulting a food scientist, he recommends using champagne yeast for sourdough starter. The reason is that common bread and wild yeasts can no longer function well once they have manufactured 6-8 percent alcohol, and this is why many starters lose their punch and get "tired." Champagne yeast can survive in up to 17 percent alcohol and tends to create a starter that maintains its vigor much longer.

Historical how did they get champagne yeast? How about yeast for beer?

I have made beer with store bought yeast.
I have made wine with store bought yeast.
I have made wine with just the yeast that settles on the grapes.

I am playing with, drying sourdough starter and using it in making beer, and seeing how long it will store dry, then using it to make sourdough starter.

Back