• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for Vent Plug Feathers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Where do folks get their feathers from that they use to plug their flintlock vent?
Is there a feather type and size that works best in your vent?
I'm interested in any recommendations or information that you can provide.

Long answer to a short question. First off, every Father's Day every Canada Goose starts molting. Just walk around any pond where they hangout and you can have all you can carry.

Second. Feathers are covered by Federal Law, back when Teddy Roosevelt was president, women wore hats with big feathers. Market hunters damn near finished off birds that had big feathers, Whooping Crane, Egrets, Sand Hill Cranes, Great Blue Herons. The best feathers are found during breeding season so they were killing all the breeders. So, it is illegal to have in your possession any migratory bird feathers. Best to stick to game birds and Turkeys. I had a friend get a $135 fine for having a BlueJay feather in her hat.

Many feather are too big on the tip to fit into the touchhole. I've found flight feathers from mourning doves work well in some of my guns.

I have a question, maybe someone can answer it for me. in a previous post, Bob McBride said: "Songbird feathers of the correct size (appx 2” long) blew across the ground by the billions in those days and bending over to grab one and stick it in your stock was easy to do and often the feather in the touch hole was simply tossed when a squirrel or rabbit were spotted." Which raises the question that's bothering me. Why couldn't the old boys just bend over and grab one from that feather blizzard and plug the touchhole any time they wanted? I don't see the need for carrying one around in a "feather hole" in the stock, with feathers that easily at hand all the time. Occam's razor.

Spence

Do not know about a song bird feather now, would be pretty or pretty expensive if Mr. game warden came along your way.

they have a natural wax on the shaft, and keeps out water / moisture out. it was a common practice back in the day when left loaded / stored in the corner / over the fire place!!

Where do folks get their feathers from that they use to plug their flintlock vent?
Is there a feather type and size that works best in your vent?
I'm interested in any recommendations or information that you can provide.

Do you know any farmers with chickens or turkeys? Anyone you know hunt waterfowl? Ask around at your local farmers market or fish & game club. I expect they'd be more than happy to help you out

Any small birds but many are protected so go shoot a English Sparrow. Great feathers. Invasive species.

IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG

Last edited:
Just watch as you walk. You'll soon get sense of the size you need.
I found a trove along a river w/ several flocks of Canada Geese.
Bigger ones, I cut into rough quill pens, to the delight of young nephews.
Chicken feathers work, too.
I got some stained clusters (packaged as craft/cat toy parts) at a thrift, but the shaft tips had been trimmed/crushed, so not very useful. Gave them to cat lovers.

I trim most of the feather, keeping just enough of the shaft to plug the touchhole and close the frizzen, without a lot sticking out to be snagged and pulled out. I don't worry too much about someone objecting; noyt much left for ID-ing.

Contary to one poster feathers are not scattered every where . Well not in New Zealand hence I put three below the trigger guard or if it has a cheek piece small wire loops serve the same purpose . Many seem to think they are to clean the vent perhaps they might if suitable but I believe its to plug the vent. I once worked in a major museum there where two well used wheellocks neither had pan covers which suggests to me they( presumably the game keepers ) carried them unprimed & plugged vented . The one I copied had the two wire loops big enough to hold feathers but wire picks would be too loose. I'me saying ' Keepers' rifles his' Nibs' wouldn't hunt them so hard nor where they overly fancy. Could be way off. Ime not Sherlock Holmes & I wasn't there , But I regonise a well carried gun .
slopey letters un planned .
Rudyard

Back