• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for large end French ramrods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to complete a French fusil de chasse, built to the 1729 contract requirements from the Tulle factory. Each French smoothies used a wooden ramrod where the last 5-6" inches at the muzzle are of greater diameter than the nominal 3/8" ramrod.

Where does one find such a blank?

I can make or buy a tapering tool, just need a good source for straight hickory ramrod blanks, at least 45" long (as early French FdCs were ~44.3" barrels, but as measured in pieds). TOW doesn't sell blanks that size.

The way I make them for my self, I have green ash growing here by my pond, I find one the right size on the big end peel the bark off take it to the shed and clamp a pair of grass shears in the vise with the blades open the right amount hold the big end of the rod and pull the rod over the blades until I have it the right dia. to fit.
It don't take very long to get it the right size.
Hermit

Hi,
Dunlap Woodcrafts has ramrods of many different diameters including 1/2". They don't show them on their website, you just have to call.

dave

Steve Baily hickory rods 573 768 6545 buy a bunch good rods and fair price.

Most hardwood dealers carry hickory boards too. It's a bit more work than starting with a shaped dowel, but in comparison to a whole gun, it's a walk in the park.

Steve Bailey has sold the bussiness but I didnt catch the new owners name. Curt

Hi Rich.

Thanks for the update. I was so hopeing someone would buy the business. Steve (now Dan I presume) is a great source for ramrods, especially longer than standard lengths. A couple years ago I ordered a bundle of 10 in different diameters 57" long. Good quality and very reasonably priced. Thanks again.

Rick

Back