• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Somewhat Primitive Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

32 Cal
Reaction score
Fooling around in the shop today.

Found a box of blades and knives I made in about 1980.

This one was forged from a piece of steel identical to the piece in this photo.

Used a coal forge. An Anvil that pre dated the American Civil War and has been in the family since. And a companion hammer from the same time frame.

Heated in a wood stove until cherry red. Quenched in oil.

Ground and polished then tempered on the top of the same wood stove. Left it on the stove until the colors started running blue, then a quench in light oil.

Tested on my Wilson Rockwell Hardness Tester at 57 C.

zQGqAaL.jpg

More

1jl8d35.jpg

After the mods review this post for legality, and if they do not object, with their permission I will post photos of the Rockwell Hardness Tester and how it is used. They might not approve, the tester was made in WW II.

These were all made about 1980, back when I was learning. Gave up knife making for many years due to other commitments with the family.

Now I am easing back into blacksmithing, forging, and blade making. Meanwhile I have been collecting tools and supplies for a serious blacksmith shop that will be located behind the main shop. I will be setting posts in a few weeks for the basic structure, then build the forge before putting the walls up. I have a semi-portable forge now, same one I forged the above knife blades on. It is adequate for knife forging but I need a somewhat larger and permanent one.

Used a coal forge. An Anvil that pre dated the American Civil War and has been in the family since. And a companion hammer from the same time frame.

Ground and polished then tempered on the top of the same wood stove. Left it on the stove until the colors started running blue, then a quench in light oil.

zQGqAaL.jpg

More

1jl8d35.jpg

After the mods review this post for legality, and if they do not object, with their permission I will post photos of the Rockwell Hardness Tester and how it is used. They might not approve, the tester was made in WW II.
they are very nice blades, looks like good craftsmanship

I have a large binder full of knife designs, many of them mine, what ever popped up in my head while day dreaming. I think some of them will be realistic "Period" knives to match our muzzle loading weapons. I will be hot into some forging in 6 months or so when the new shop is suitable.

The above photos are not really pro made custom knives, just some blades I made way back when investigating forging VS. grinding from flat stock. Learned a lot, now is the time to bring the designs, new forge, and tooling collection together in one place.

I was an avid Roosevelt Elk Hunter back when I started making knives. The blade and handle are shaped such that you may place your index finger on the tip of the blade and clutch the handle with your other fingers. This way you will not cut your other hand when you are skinning or reaching way up the chest cavity to cut the windpipe. That index finger lets you know exactly where the blade is.

zQGqAaL.jpg

More

1jl8d35.jpg

Excellent blade design. How thick on the spine of the full flat grind?

Back