• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

some thoughts on hammer tension

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How does one know if they have enough tension on the hammer spring? Is to much tension a bad thing?
My opinion on this subject and how I have set mine up is if the hammer will stay full down on a new nipple and not blow back to half cock and the spent cap hull generally stays under the hammer nose until retracted for the next shot than the tension is at least enough.Caps that routinely blow off from good fitting nipples without hammer retraction is usually a sign the hammer spring needs more tension.
On the question of two much tension my feeling is also that it can be over done.
Usually prematurely battered nipples or hammer shoulders on the frame stop ( Rem 58's, ROA) can be a sign, not always. Hammer unusually hard to final cock, again can be but not always.
Open top guns ( Colts 51,60 and 61) will begin to batter out the hammer nose at the safety pin notch from the nipple unless frame arrested on the inside of the hammer arm mid shank or the hammer nose hood stops the hammer fall at the back of the nipple notch.Any of these areas showing unusual battering or wear can mean to much hammer or main spring tension.One wants enough and a bit more spring tension to get the job done with a cold and or dirty pistol but no more.
Any of these guns fit up and tuned right,properly cleaned and lubed, will last for many thousands of round with little to no trouble.
It frankly is quite amazing what these little machines are capable of endurance wise if set up right and cared for. MD

Back