• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some of my leather work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh0456

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Decided to show off a couple things I've made and carved. Been doing leather work on and off for many years using the tool past down to me from my Dad.
This was my first attempt at making holsters from scratch. They are for my 1860 percussions I use for cowboy action. Left hand holster is in a cross draw configuration. Its a simple slim jim style holster.
Then a knife sheath for a knife my Dad made many years ago.
And finally a belt box that holds whatever...
many photos.... :wink:

My next project will be a flint/tool wallet in this same style.

Knife

Belt box

I'm certainly no expert on period correctness so I can't say anything about the designs that you have chosen but I can tell you that you have done an excellent job of tooling the leather and making each of the items in the photos. Really nice work. :thumbsup:

Nice work -- what weight is your leather and what size is your thread (is it linen)?

That particular piece of leather I used to make those items was purchased a while ago so I don't remember exactly, however as an educated guess I'd say its most likely 8 or maybe 9 oz. When I get home I'll measure it to see. The thread is linen, but I waxed it using beeswax.

I really like that belt box! The holsters are nice too but I don't see my horse pistol fitting in there.

Born and raised in the Southwest, I've always admired good tooling and carving, even as I've ducked it in my own work. My dad was a leatherworker before me, and maybe he set too high a standard when I was a kid.

Even so I treasure his belt and holster he made and tooled when he was a deputy on the border in the 1950's. I lament that he let his duty gun go down the road (SAA in 45), but that leather is passing down through the generations. Looks like your work deserves the same fate. Well done.

BrownBear said:
Born and raised in the Southwest, I've always admired good tooling and carving, even as I've ducked it in my own work. My dad was a leatherworker before me, and maybe he set too high a standard when I was a kid.

Even so I treasure his belt and holster he made and tooled when he was a deputy on the border in the 1950's. I lament that he let his duty gun go down the road (SAA in 45), but that leather is passing down through the generations. Looks like your work deserves the same fate. Well done.

Brownbear, thanks much and I can certainly appreciate your story of your Dad. I learned leatherwork from my Dad who picked it up as something to do when he came back from the pacific just after WWII. He was in the Navy. I learned from him and am using his tools. I have several things he made as well. My Mom's leather bound prayer book among the most prized. I also have a western style belt and holster he made for me when I was a kid for my cap gun... that was when I thought I was going to grow up and become Roy Rodgers. Ha! :rotf:

BillinOregon said:
Your carving, your stitching and your edges are all very nicely done Johnny. Wish I could do half as well.

Bill, its still a learning process for me and always will be. :wink: I don't do it that often but when I do, I seem to learn something else.

Back